Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Blood testing

You just resently answered a question for me, and I was hoping you wouldn't mind another. The Vet is coming to do shots soon and I am concerned that my 20 yo Arab may need supplementation to her diet (Vitamins & minerals). Is there a certain blood test I should ask for? She is on only a 1/4 feed scoop of Triple Crown Complete so I know she's not getting the amount that the feed offers. She gets a joint supplem't (For a Flex from Country Supply), Quiessence, MSM and Sugar free electrolytes when hot and humid. Thanks again for being available to answer questions.

Re: Blood testing

Hi Diane,

Yes, I agree with you -- a good vitamin/mineral supplement would be worthwhile in order to fill in the gaps in her diet.

I would recommend that you have a simple CBC done to take a snapshot of how she's doing on the inside. This will tell you if her vital organs are working well, if she's anemic, as well as if she's fighting any infection.

Glad to help.

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, Colorado

Thank you again for your knowledge. I will get a CBC done at shot time. As for a multi vitamin would Accel be a good choice? I have seen it suggested numerous times by you. I had also heard that Source micro nuggets were good, but I think that is mainly minerals.

Hi Diane,

Yes, Accel is an excellent, comprehensive supplement that I do often recommend. Source products contain micronutrients (minerals) and are not complete enough, in my opinion, for what you are trying to achieve.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, Colorado