Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Elderly pony with Laminitis that needs to put weight on as too thin.

Please can you help. My pony Nobby is 28 years old and suffers with laminitis, arthritis & COPD (due to the arthritis & COPD he has to live out all year). During the spring & summer he is on restricted grazing and if he does get a bout of laminitis then he gets CalMag which is a calcium & magnesium supplement which helps him a lot. He gets this in a small feed of bran & alpha-beet, with garlic, arnica, rhus tox & ruta grav & vegetable peelings. ( eg. cabbage & cauliflower leaves, swede, carrot, parsnips & apple peelings aswell).
Nobby's problem is that he lost too much weight in the 'starvation' paddock. He has been out of the paddock for over a month and has shown no signs of putting any weight on & I need him to put some weight on for the winter. All last winter he was fed on haylage out in the field & approx 2-3lbs horse & pony nuts & Dengie hi-fi chaff, he also has good rugs.
Please help what can I feed him now that will help put the weight on him but not trigger another attack of laminitis?

Where are you from? Devon England

How did you locate this forum? Search engine

Re: Elderly pony with Laminitis that needs to put weight on as too thin.

Hi Amanda,

Horses tolerate high fat diets very well, so I would suggest that you find a low starch feed and add some oil to the mixture. Allen and Page makes a product called "Sugar and Cereal Intolerance Diet", which I would recommend. To this, add some flaxseed oil to give him omega 3 fatty acids.

Please keep me posted.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, Colorado