Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
easy keeper

hi, my east keeper, Pistol has been on a very small amt of safe and sound with carb balance, nutra flax , vits., 24/7 hay... his pasture mate eats Platform senior . Pistol tends to eat the leftover pellets of senior feed that his buddy leaves behind. my basic question is, how does the carb. content of the senior feed compare to the safe and sound? is it much higher? i don't know if i need to seperate them for feeding, which would be quite inconvenient, but i will do it if necessary. Pistol seems to be improving but not "there" yet. so i am still fine tuning him. thanks, df

Where are you from? tx

Re: easy keeper

Hi Dianne,

Generally speaking, most senior feeds are lower in starch than feeds for younger horses, simply because they have a higher concentration of fiber. I do not know the exact percentage of sugars and starches in either of these feeds (they are not offered on their websites). However, if the amount of senior pellets that Pistol is getting is small, it is not of great concern. So, it's a matter of degree.

I will contact both feed companies to see if they will divulge the %NSC (non-structural carbohydrates) and if I'm successful, I'll certainly let you know.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, Colorado