Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Trying to chose hay

Hi Dr.Getty,
Thank you so much for your help earlier.

I am really in a pickle.
I have 2 TB's one of which is 20, amazing health!!
the other one is 15, great health, good weight.
This yr our hay is very expensive, so I was wondering if you can help me.

Is it ok to feed a very good quality grass/alfalfa mix, morning and night and then during the day when they need something just to chew on, can I feed them the less expensive hay? ( It isn't moldy, just sun bleached)

They will also be fed
ground flax
canola oil
alfalfa pellets
complete feed
All of the above would be small amounts, 1 1/2lbs per feeding.

Or is there anything better that you could recommend?

Thanks so much
Jenni

Where are you from? canada

How did you locate this forum? internet

Re: Trying to chose hay

Hi Jenni,

Good question! The answer is yes -- you can feed a lower quality hay during the day to provide them with some grazing opportunity as long as it is clean and free of mold and weeds. But, based on what you're feeding, I would add an overall multiple vitamin/mineral supplement to fill in the gaps such as Accel. Your complete ration is being fed at small amounts so it is likely not covering all of their needs.

Hope this helps!

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, Colorado

Re: Trying to chose hay

Hi again, Jenni,

I see that you are in Canada. Accel is made by Vita Flex and I believe there are distributors of their products in your area.

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, Colorado