Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
new owner

Hi Dr. Getty,
I will be the new owner of a 2 yr. Appaloosa in a week. She was rescued from an auction,being sold for meat.She seems to be in good health,but I would like to know what to feed her for optimal health and development. It's been suggested that I give her Trotters and sweet feed. Thank you for any help you can give. Melodie

Where are you from? Massachusetts

How did you locate this forum? searched for horse nutrition

Re: new owner

Hi Melodie,

Congratulations! Your life is about to change for the better!

Two year olds are still growing and therefore, have special nutritional needs. You really should avoid a sweet feed, since high starch/sugar diets can result in orthopedic problems.

Your filly will also need higher levels of certain minerals and amino acids to promote healthy growth.

Trotter is a low starch feed, and you could offer that, along with a good multiple vitamin/mineral supplement such as Accel Lifetime. You'll also want to give her Lysine.

Alfalfa hay is important to add, along with as much grass hay and/or pasture as she wants.

This is a good place to start, but if at some point you feel that a personal phone visit would be helpful, please feel free to let me know.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, Colorado