Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
proper nutrition for my appendix quarter horse

Hi,
I have an 8 yr old Appendix Quater Horse gelding (he is about 85% thoroughbred). He is quiet at home schooling over fences, but when I take him out for a lesson or show he is very tense. I am not nervous in these situations so I can rule that out. He eats about 2lbs of TizWhiz a day with a cup of Farrier's Formula (he also receives electrolytes with no sugar). I give him about 10 flakes of a grass hay a day. I had him on 2 handfuls of oats and 4lbs of beet pulp last year. I gave him Gleam and Gain and Augment (www.adeptusnutrition.com) with it, but switched back because his hooves became shelly, tender, and cracked. I didn't notice a change in his behavior and attitude with either of these feeding arrangements. I have considered giving him Modipher EQ before I compete, but I have not tried it yet. I would appretiate any input or ideas regarding my horses' situation.
Thank you

Where are you from? Ohio

How did you locate this forum? yahoo

Re: proper nutrition for my appendix quarter horse

Hi Andrea,

Thank you for writing about your horse. One approach I would suggest is to add magnesium to his diet in the form of Quiessence (since it also contains B vitamins). Most horses do not get enough magnesium and this vital mineral plays an important role in calming the nervous system.

I have had many clients use this product for the type of problem you're describing with great success.

Please keep me posted.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

Thanks for replying, I'll order some right away to try. I'll let you know if there is any progress.
Thanks again,
Andrea

Where are you from? Ohio

Hi Andrea,

Yes, please do let me know how things progress.

Dr. Getty

I have had my horse on Quiessence for a while now and have noticed a drastic difference in his focus and demeanor. This has really helped him out. Thank you for suggesting this supplement.

Where are you from? Ohio

Hi Andrea,

Thank you for the feedback. The fact that Quiessence is so helpful definitely indicates that your horse was suffering from a mild magnesium deficiency. I'm delighted that it has been so effective.

All the best,

Dr. Getty