Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
low glucose reading

Hi Dr. What would cause a very low glucose reading of 10? The normal range is 70 to 120. My horse is 15
Thank you, Cathy

Where are you from? CA.

Re: low glucose reading

Hi Cathy,

I would first suggest that you have your horse retested. This level of glucose is so low that your horse would likely pass out from the lack of energy to his nervous system.

This level of hypoglycemia can be due to going for many hours without anything to eat.

It could also indicate a tumor of the pancreas leading to excessive insulin production. And, it can also be due to liver disease.

So, have it rechecked and also have his insulin levels and his liver function checked.

Keep me posted.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

They rechecked the results. He has food in front of him most of the time.
Cathy

Where are you from? CA.

Hi Cathy,

Thanks for that information. Well, the next step would be to visit with your vet and see what he/she has to say about other health problems that would cause such a low reading.

Please keep me posted. I would like to know how your horse is doing.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO