Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
supplementing a hot underweight 8 year old barrel horse

I received this horse a couple of months ago and he was litterally skin and bones. Once I discovered that he is a cribber, I have successfully put on probably 300 pounds after putting a collar on him. This horse has no papers but looks QH/TB and is pushing 16h tall. He could still use some fat and muscle, but looks and act tremendously better. I have him on a 11% protein/10% fat pellet feed (Bartlett Milling Hi-E), beet pulp, Actiflex, yeast culture, and Calm N Cool daily pellets because I was told they had to ace him to keep him calm enough to run him and I don't like to do that. I feed bermuda hay, but the quality of it is questionable. This year has been a bad hay year. He is on no grass right now. I took him on a trail ride for the first time a couple of days ago and he was a little hot at first, but calmed down and rode really great. My question is, I was researching the Glanzen and was wondering if you would recommend this for him? What are the benefits of the added Selenium. I would like to not have to feed so many different supplements, but I am on a tight budget as well. Please let me know what you recommend for his nutrition. Also, I have to wet his feed to keep him from dropping so much. His teeth have been checked recently, he just looks up alot (like a nervous eater) and drops alot of feed when he does. I give him Psyllium monthly because of him cleaning up what he drops on the ground.

Where are you from? Toccoa, GA

How did you locate this forum? Searching info about ActiFlex

Re: supplementing a hot underweight 8 year old barrel horse

Hi Kari,

Glanzen is a superb supplement and one that I often recommend. It contains flaxseed meal and is therefore, high in omega 3 fatty acids. This will improve his health in many ways. It also contains B vitamins, which will reduce your need for the calming supplement.

Since you have him on Actiflex, you could either feed that with Glanzen, or feed him Reitsport HA-100 instead, since it has a joint supplement (and you wouldn't need to feed Actiflex).

The selenium levels in Georgia are variable. He may already be getting selenium in the feed you're providing. So, check the label on that before considering adding more selenium. Glanzen does come in a Glanzen-SE version that provides 1 mg of Se per 6 ounce dose. But, it's important to not overdose on this mineral, since too much is toxic.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO