Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Panacur powerpak

Hi Dr. Getty,
I saw that you had told someone about the Panacur Powerpak before. I've been feeding my Thoroughbred Safechoice, Alfalfa pellets, flax, canola oil,coastal hay, and the Ration plus. For some reason he still isn't just right. I rotation worm every 6 to 8 weeks. I bought the Panacur powerpak and don't understand the directions on it. One weight chart on the plunger is red & goes up to 1,250 lbs. The other weight chart is black and goes up to 2,500 lbs. Do I give the whole tube of wormer 5 days in a row or not? I do want to get the small strongyles (sp)Can you help me out?

Thanks,
Lynette

Where are you from? Bastrop Texas

Re: Panacur powerpak

Hi Lynette,

Each tube is supposed to be for up to 1250 lbs of weight. I double-checked this by going to the manufacturer's website. So, if your horse weighs 1250 lbs, give him the entire tube. If he's less, then adjust the dosage.

Fenbendazole at a double dose, 5-day regimen, kills encysted early third stage, late third stage and fourth stage cyathostome larvae that other wormers don't catch. I recommend administering this once each year.

You're doing a great job in your feeding program. Keep me posted on how your fellow is doing.

All the best,

Dr. Getty :)

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

Thanks Dr. Getty,
I thought that was right, but it seems like too much wormer... I knew you would know for sure I am also going to do my husbands reining horse. He's had the colic surgery and I'm scared to do anything that might hurt him, so the dosage was kind of scarey! Should I do my mare and baby at the same time? The baby is 6 1/2 mos. now. (I still haven't weaned her... I keep talking about it don't I?)
Lynette

Where are you from? Bastrop Texas

Hi Lynette,

I wouldn't give the PowerPac to your baby. Wait until year, year and a half. But your mare is fine.

Don't worry about the weaning -- the longer you wait, the better off your filly will be. The stress of weaning is responsible for a whole host of behavioral problems down the road. Your mare will very likely wean her foal by herself.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO