Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Glanzen Question

Hello again :)

I was reading another post by you and now I have a question about Glanzen. I have a 4 year old MFT and a 7 year old MFT and temporarily a STB gelding, but for this purpose we will only be talking about my mares :)

I currently feed them :
4 year old, who is suddenly growing like a weed, and looks all lanky

Morning:
1.5 pounds of Purina Ultium
1.5 pounds of Hay Stretcher

Hay

Evening:
1.5 pounds of Purina Ultium
1.5 pounds of Hay Stretcher
1 cup of BOSS
1 scoop Accel
1/2 scoop (the one included) Nutra Flax

Hay

7 year old, who gets fat very easily, she cannot be given to much hay or grain because she turns into porky pig :) She gets the little bit of grain that she does so she does not feel left out.

Morning
1/2 pound of Purina Ultium
1/2 pound of Hay Stretcher
Hay

Evening
1/2 pound of Purina Ultium
1/2 pound of Hay Stretcher
1/2 cup of BOSS
1/2 scoop of Nutra Flax
1 scoop of accel.
Hay

I give them the accel because they are not being fed the recommended feeding of Ultium. I know NH is a Selenium defficient area. Now you mentioned the Glanzen. Can I feed that in place of the Nutra Flax and Accel?? If I buy the Glanzen with Selenium, will that take care of the need to supplement for it or will I then have too much Selenium? The hay I feed is just plain old grass hay.

Thanks for any insight that you can give me :)

Where are you from? NH

How did you locate this forum? Another website

Re: Glanzen Question

Hi JS,

Yes, you can certainly feed Glanzen in place of Nutra Flax and Accel. And, regarding the selenium issue, 3 pounds of Purina Ultium provides less than 1 mg of selenium. So, since you are in a Se-deficient area of the country, I would recommend the Glanzen-SE. Give your 4 year old three scoops per day and your 7 year old, 2 scoops per day. This will meet their vitamin/mineral need, as well as provide the essential fatty acids in their diet.

And, one other suggestion -- cut back on the Ultium for your 7 year old -- she doesn't a pound of Ultium each day since she holds her weight so well. Instead, just give her a handful with her hay stretcher, along with access to hay and/or pasture 24/7. And, I would also discontinue feeding the sunflower seeds. They add too many omega 6s to her diet which are not only more calories than she needs (since you'll be feeding Glanzen) but the omega 6s increase inflammation. You might also consider reducing them for your younger mare.

Hope this is helpful! Keep up the fine work!

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

Thanks. I thought I was doing a good thing by feeding them the BOSS.

Where are you from? NH

How did you locate this forum? Another website

Hi JS,

Since the sunflower seeds are so high in fat, they are not advisable for a horse that needs to lose a bit of weight.

For normal weight horses, they can be part of a nutritious diet, but in moderation since too many will provide excessive amounts of omega 6 fatty acids.

So, your 7 year old would be better off without them.

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO