Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Panacur Powerpak

Hi Dr. Getty,

I just read your response to an earlier Panacur Powerpak question. When is the best time to administer this? I live in New England and I think I recall being told that early to mid spring was best. Does it matter?

Thanks!

Where are you from? Massachusetts

How did you locate this forum? Internet Search

Re: Panacur Powerpak

Hi Suzanne,

Early spring or mid fall are both good times since these encysted larvae can rear their ugly heads around late spring or early winter.

I'm currently treating my horses now since we are headed into an early winter.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

How do I know if my horses have the encysted larvae? Someone mentioned to me quite some time back that my horse's unusually (?) distended belly might be attributable to this and to consider using Panacur Powerpak to take care of it. Any information would be most appreciated. Thank you for all of your help in the past as well.
Heidi

Where are you from? Cool, CA

How did you locate this forum? Dr. Getty's website

Hi Heidi,

Just about all horses develop encysted larvae over time, so it's a good idea to treat for them every year or two. A distended belly could be due to this situation, or could simply be a poor quality hay. The belly naturally expands when bacteria ferment forage, and this is normal and healthy. But, if it is extreme and consistent, then you should consider that it is something else, such as the encysted larvae.

Glad to help!

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

Thank you so much, Dr. Getty.

Where are you from? Cool, CA

How did you locate this forum? Dr. Getty's website