Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Not Finishing Meals

Hi Dr. Getty,

You've been so helpful in the past so I'm hoping you might have an answer to my current problem concerning my horse.

To quickly summarize, my TB was diagnosed by my vet as having stomach ulcers/excess acid. He had always been a picky eaty and hard to keep weight on. When I first wrote to you, I was giving him Neigh Lox. You suggested a few things to try, changing his feed, feeding more hay at night, and using Ration Plus. I followed your advice and switched him to Purina Ultium in July and shortly after began using Ration Plus. He has been doing wonderfully and his weight looks fabulous!

Recently, he hasn't been finishing his breakfast feed, which he had been doing consistently with his new regimen. I've owned this horse for nine years and this problem has cropped up every fall, which leads me to conclude that something happens during the season change that affects him. My guess is that due to the grass dying, he has less to graze upon during the day when he is turned out. Eventually, the barn manager will begin feeding hay during the day, but that hasn't started yet. Dr. Getty, do you think this might be contributing to the problem?

I was considering putting him on Tract Gard for about one month to see if it helps. I know you're not an advocate of treating symptoms, but I thought it might be OK for a short period.

My horse continues to mystify me. Just when I think I've everything under control, something like this happens. Could it be that this is just the way my horse is hard wired and that I should learn to live with it?

Thank you again for all of your help!

Where are you from? Massachusetts

How did you locate this forum? internet search for equine nutritionist

Re: Not Finishing Meals

Hi Suzanne,

First, let me thank you for the lovely compliment. It is music to my ears to hear that a horse is doing well! Do you happen to have a before and after picture that you can send me?

His not wanting to finish his meal during this time of year is certainly a concern. It could very well be because he is not getting the grass that he prefers.

TractGard is fine to try if you think he is suffering from some indigestion. I now carry it on my website.

But, in addition, or separately, I would recommend adding B vitamins in the form of BPlex to help with his appetite. Two ounces per day is a good idea. The Purina Ultium is not high in B vitamins.

Please keep me posted on his progress.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

Thank you Dr. Getty. So, if I'm understanding you correctly, he is not receiving an adequate amount of B vitamins from the sparse pasture he's on and that may be why his appetite has decreased. Also, I'm willing to try anything that would help him to better deal with stress, as he is a "sensitive guy."

I have some "before" pictures that I will send you directly. At the moment, I don't have any current ones but could take some and send them too.

Thanks again!

Hi Suzanne,

It is very likely that he is missing some nutrients that he is accustomed to getting, since pasture is not available. B vitamins will do several things. First, they will increase his appetite. Second, they will help his digestive system heal. And, third, they will keep his nervous system healthy. So, go ahead with the B Plex. If he is generally finicky about new things, I recommend a flavor. It comes in peppermint, apple, molasses, and anise-molasses.

If you have some TractGard on hand, you could offer him some to see if it helps. Is he getting enough water? As the temperatures drop, horses typically drink less. So, TractGard will be very helpful in keeping him hydrated. And, having your water source temperature controlled is essential since water below 50 degrees (F) is not appealing to horses.

As you may know, I am busy writing a book on solving problems through proper feeding. I would like to include pictures of horses that I have worked with, such as yours. So, if you're agreeable, please send the before pictures and when you have a chance, a current smiling photo would be great! You can send it directly to my email: DrGetty@GettyEquineNutrition.biz

Keep me posted,

Dr. Getty

I just ordered some B Plex; I'm sure he'll love the carrot flavored!

I will get some pictures to you as soon as possible and keep you posted. You had asked about his water consumption. For the most part, he usually does drink a fair amount. He has two water buckets in his stall and it isn't uncommon for him to drink most of one and half of the other.

Thank you!!

Hi Suzanne,

I'm glad to hear that he's drinking enough water. He should be drinking at least 10 gallons each day.

Keep me posted on how the B Plex is working. And, I'll look forward to those pics!

Dr. Getty