Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Question Avosoy supplement

Hi Dr Getty- how have you been, busy it looks like!! Here is an interesting question. There is a product for humans for arthritis-joint lubrication called Avocado-Soy-Unsaponifiables. It is NOT avocado-soy oil, it is supposedly a substance extracted from fibrous matter in avocados and soy that help the joint. Heard of it? Any reason not to try it on a horse? I am curious!!

Where are you from? GA

Re: Question Avosoy supplement

Hi Vicki,

While this looks like a promising treatment for arthritis in people, I would not suggest trying it on horses. Since part of it is derived from avocados, I would be reluctant (until proven wrong) to feed it to horses because avocados are toxic for horses. So, better to be safe in this regard. If you find anything that suggests it is safe for horses, please let me know.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

Thanks for your advice, I have since read that about avocado toxicity also....it would be wise not to try it for exactly that reason.
But.... I AM trying to find some nutrient supplements that would help arthritis (mild) in a young (6 year old) horse. I am currently giving Adequan IM, and I just can't find much convincing evidence that oral nutraceuticals really hit the target. Have you heard of any new advances along the oral supplement line? Thanks, I really enjoy your websire!!

Where are you from? GA

Hi Vicki,

Good call! No need to risk a toxicity.

The product that I have had the best results with is Actiflex -- both the liquid and the powder, though the liquid is better absorbed. It is high in MSM, glucosamine, chondroitin, and hyaluronic acid. But, it also contains perna canaliculus, bioperine, and yucca -- all excellent anti-inflammatory agents.

I would suggest trying it for a month to see how well it works.

Another factor in healing arthritis is enough good quality protein. If only grass hay is fed, the quality of the protein is not high enough to provide all of the essential amino acids necessary to build new tissue. So, it is important to add enough lysine to the mixture. This can be done by supplementation, or by simply adding alfalfa to the diet.

You may already be doing this. But, I thought I'd provide an overview for my readers.

Keep me posted!

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Thanks Dr G, you are always appreciated. Will do ! You make excellent points. He is getting some alfalfa, in fact, come to think of it, he gets beter care than my teenage kids......go figure!!!

Hi Vicki,

Always glad to help!

Dr. Getty