Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
beet pulp

How much beet pulp can I safely feed to a 950 lb. horse in one feeding? I am giving her 1 1/2 lb. dry weight (then soaked) am and pm , 3 lbs. a day. She is also getting 1 lb. alfalfa pellets am and pm. she has COPD and I can't soak hay in the winter so I would like to feed beet pulp and cut down on the amount of hay. She also receives 1 cup of flax and accel.

Where are you from? Maine

How did you locate this forum? internet

Re: beet pulp

Hi Alice,

You're doing a good job. You could add another 1/2 pound of beet pulp to her meal, making the total weight 3 lbs (with the alfalfa pellets).

I would also consider adding Vitamin C (Pure C) and Vitamin E (E5000) to her diet to help with her COPD. These potent antioxidants will reduce inflammation and help her heal. Accel and flaxseed meal do not provide enough of these two nutrients.

Keep me posted.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

Hi Dr. Getty,

Thank you for your help. I will start her on the vitamin C and E.

Alice

Where are you from? Maine

How did you locate this forum? internet

Hi Alice,

Give it at a couple of months and let me know how things are progressing.

Dr. Getty

Hi Dr. Getty,

My mare is still having trouble with her COPD. I am unable to soak hay this time of year so I have been wetting it down really good, It's still not enough. The vet wants her off the hay completely. I am now feeding her 2 lbs. triple crown and 2 lbs. alfalfa cubes three times a day, a total of 12 lbs of feed a day. How much would a horse that is 950 lbs. need. I am trying to locate a cube that is half alfalfa & half timothy.

Dr. Getty,

I should add that I am still feeding her 1 small flake of hay 3 times a day. I am pouring two 5 gallon buckets of water over it first. I am having a hard time taking all the hay away. She is looking for more, she has always enjoyed her hay so much, she will eat her hay before her grain.I am concerned about the amount of alfala and fiber. If you have any other suggestions I would appreciate it.

Thanks, Alice

Hi Alice,

12 lbs of feed per day is not enough for a 950 lb horse. I would recommend closer to 20 lbs per day and 75% of that from forage.

Triple Crown does make a hay cube that can be used instead of grass hay. And, you can continue adding alfalfa cubes or pellets, that have been soaked.

Are you still providing Vitamin E and C? Let's kick this up a notch and go with Pre Ox -- 2 ounces per day. This will be very helpful for the immune system. In addition, I would feed Daily Start because it will provide oligosaccharides, which further help the body fight infection.

Keep me posted,

Dr. Getty

Wow, been awhile since I caught up on here! lol, anyway, I am not sure if you know, but there are a couple of manufacturers that make automatic "grain" feeders. If you bought one (they aren't cheap) you could set it to feed her little bits of her "bucket" all day long. It's too bad your vet wants her completely off hay, but a feeder that lets her nibble all day long (could be why she enjoys hay so much) might make the transition easier for her. Watch it though, check out the manufacturers because I have heard that some types bind up or clog up more than others.
good luck!
-Jamie

Hi Jamie,

Yes, my experience with automatic feeders is that they do tend to clog, causing horses much frustration. So, before buying one, I would investigate it thoroughly.

Instead of grain, hay pellets can be used, to provide the forage that would normally be supplied by hay.

Thanks for writing!

Dr. Getty