Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
TizWhiz

I've been feeding TizWhiz to my horses for the past 8 years. I had good results feeding it to my Morgan gelding, but now I've added a hot appendix quarter horse gelding to my herd. My horse eats about 2lbs of TizWhiz a day. He is about 80% thoroughbred. My appendix has ADD-like behavior when put in different situations, or when the cold weather hits. My horse is a very high-energy horse and becomes tense when his attention is diverted. The funny thing is that I wouldn't say that he is a nervous horse, because around the barn or in the stall he is very quiet. I have never seen this horse winded from exercise (he is a hunter/jumper). I've tried working him down (riding for a half-an-hour instead of an hour). When I showed him this past summer he was on Ex-Stress (a magnesium supplement). I didn't notice any difference while he was on Ex-Stress. I add 1 cup of Farrier's Formula to his daily ration. He receives an electrolyte with no sugar. The hay I feed is a grass mixture. I provide him with as much hay as he'll eat, which is about 10 flakes a day. He is ridden 6 days a week and turned out daily (except on muddy days when his excessive energy causes him to injure himself). Is TizWhiz a good choice for him, and if not, what should I feed to him?

Where are you from? ohio

How did you locate this forum? yahoo

Re: TizWhiz

Hi Andrea,

From what I could gather from the TizWhiz website, their products are grain-based. This means that they are very high in starch, which may be contributing to your horse's behavior. Also, he is not getting enough B vitamins for his temperament and level of physical activity. So, I suggest that you add a B Complex to his diet -- such as BPlex.

And, consider switching to a low starch feed that is designed for horses who are worked consistently, such as Purina Ultium.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO