Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Box rest

hi, my 15hh 6 year old part bred Arab is on box rest pending an operation to remove part of his splint bone. He is quite highly strung especially as his friends leave him every morning to go out in the field!
I currently feed him Hi fi lite, and a pony mix. I want to cut down on the energy i feed him but still want to give him all the nutritional value of the hard feed. He is not overweight, but might become so on the same feed doing no work. I was wondering what would be a good substitute or supplement?
Many thanks
Trudi xx

Where are you from? Berkshire, England

How did you locate this forum? Internet search

Re: Box rest

Hello Trudi,

Thank you so much for writing about your horse. Stall rest can be so difficult for many horses, so your goal is two fold during this time.

First, as you mentioned, you want to cut back on his high calorie feed so he doesn't gain weight. And, second, you want to reduce his stress level.

You can accomplish both of these goals by simply making certain that he has grass hay available to nibble on at all times -- yes, 24 hours a day. Hay can take the place of the feed reduction. And, it will also provide him with something to do.

In addition, hay will keep his digestive system healthy, to prevent stress-related digestive disorders.

Also, if you are able to find a B Complex preparation, such as B Plex, that would be ideal. Please take a look at it so you can compare it to supplements in the UK. I can certainly ship it to you, if you like, but I expect the shipping costs would be considerable.

I hope this is helpful. Please keep me posted on his progress.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

Dear Dr Getty
Thankyou so much for the advice, it can be very difficult to find accurate sources of information without being pushed into buying a long list of expensive products.
I have already learned a lot from looking on your forum, and will continue to do so!
I will start his new regime and let you know how he gets along.
Thankyou again,
Trudi

Where are you from? Berkshire, England

How did you locate this forum? Internet search

Hi Trudi,

Yes, please do keep me posted. And, if you find a B complex similar to Bplex, in your area, please let me know so I can take a look at it and possibly recommend it to my other clients in the UK.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO