Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Sweating

Howdy Dr. Getty,

Sorry, it's long.
I recently purchased a 19 yr old app mare. Retired barrel racer with a great disposition (an angel on Earth) & in good health except she's under weight due to being low man on the totem pole at feed time. Now she's alone w/no other horses to take her feed & picking up weight great. The only thing I've done differently is change the brand of sweet feed she was on from Country Acres 10% to Nutrena Sweet Stuff, 10% because it had a few more % points of fat. I really don't like sweet feed and wanted to put her on Safe Choice but the previous owner said she can't have pelleted feed. She had to take her to the vet for choking on it a couple of years ago. Also, I tried letting her have free hay but she will stand on it and eat until it's all gone so I cut her back to twice daily feedings (I work). No pasture. My concern is, I found her several times just standing there sweating. No excercise, riding, anything but still sweating. She's not breathing hard and not sweating profusely but enough to wet her chest & inside back legs. Some days were warm & high humidity but recently cool and breezy. She shows no signs of pain, just fine except for the sweat. At 1st I thought it was adjusting to the new home, nervous. She went a couple of weeks without sweating and then Boom, yesterday morning (60 degrees), sweating. She coming in season again, could it be related?

I would like to switch her to Purina Equine Senior but not sure about the protein & still seems, to me anyway, to be a sweet feed. I am scared to jump her from feed to feed (I do it slowly but still). I need to get her on a good feed program that suits her needs. So, with the history I gave you and the stats below, what would you recommend?

19 yrs (young)
14.5 hands
700 lbs & needs about another 100 (I need to have her weighed, this is an estimate from prev. owner.)
Feeding same as previous owner 3.5 lbs feed AM/PM
7 lbs hay AM/PM, would like free hay all day once she realizes it's all hers & quits wolfing it down.
She has sulphur, mineral, & salt cubes at all times.

Thank you for your help!!!!!!

Where are you from? TX

How did you locate this forum? Friend

Re: Sweating

Hi Sherry,

Thank you for writing about your mare. I can certainly understand your concern. Her sweating could be caused by a variety of reasons.

One, of course, is emotional, and you didn't mention if she has a buddy, but this is critical to a horse's health.

Another situation is that she is underweight and a decline in outside temperature can make her work harder to maintain her body temperature. So, she may sweat because she is burning more calories and thus, produces body heat.

I would strongly suggest that you allow her to have hay 24/7. The reason she eats it so quickly is because she fears that there is not enough to eat. Once she realizes that there is plenty available, she will calm down and therefore, slow down her eating. I've seen this situation time and time again, and it always works out this way.

Another cause of sweating may be due to an ulcer, which she can very likely develop if she goes for hours without anything to eat.

Regarding the Senior Feed, it is typically low in molasses and it is extruded, not pelleted, making chewing easier. So, choke is much less likely. If she is prone to choke, you can moisten her food. Also, make sure her feed bucket is below shoulder height, preferably between her knee and elbow. And, she should have water right next to her feed.

I hope this is helpful. I would be delighted to work with you to get her weight up to a good level and fill in the gaps in her diet, so she can be in good shape for the winter. Please let me know if I can assist you further.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

Thank you so much Dr. Getty. I've already started back to hay 24/7 & think I will go ahead and switch her to Senior. I'm taking her to the vet next week for a check up.

I think the sweating is from more than 1 cause. Like you said, staying warm is a big part of it & the other is the trotting the fence line watching the horses across the street. She's such a contradiction...wants to be w/other horses but then doesn't want them near her when she is.

Due to home owner restrictions, I'm only allowed one horse & no goats, pigs, chickens, etc...All she has for buddies are the dogs and me. Any advice to help her mental health?

Thank you again.
Sherry

Where are you from? Dripping Springs, Texas

How did you locate this forum? Friend

Hi Sherry,

Excellent changes! And, your decision to take her to the vet for a checkup is a good idea.

How about a cat? Sounds strange, but horses like cats much, much better than dogs. It would need to be a barn cat, that sticks around all the time.

But, as you know, horses are herd animals and the reason they get so tense when they are by themselves is due to survival. They actually fear for their own safety. Horses are prey animals and need to be in groups, of at least two, to be emotionally healthy. She is likely not resting much because she doesn't have a look-out buddy so they can take turns. Ever notice in a field of horses how some are lying down and others are standing?

Perhaps you could consider boarding her in a facility where other horses could be around. She may do better, for example, around geldings than other mares. Some mares compete with one another and don't always get along. But, the opposite is also true. Every horse is unique, just like people.

In terms of calming her nervous system, I would recommend that you give her a B complex. It won't take the place of a companion, but it will help reduce the damage that stress causes on the nervous system, digestive system, and the immune system.

I recommend B Plex -- give her two ounces each day.

Keep me posted!

Dr. Getty

LOL, Thanks Dr. Getty! I have 2 cats that love to hang w/the horse. I just thought she didn't give them the time of day but now I see that may not be the case. I also think she's finally adjusting and feeling more secure. I watched her sleep standing up & she went into such a deep sleep she almost fell over. She did it 4 times & I only wish I got it on tape!!

There's a boarding facility a mile up the road. I have friends that keep horses there. I plan on riding up there frequently so she will have time w/others. Do you think that will help? It will only be on weekends until the time changes back (I won't even get started on Daylight Savings Time, arrrggh) since it's dark at 6:15.

She's loving the free hay. Already (just a few days) & she's starting to ease up on it. She's still eating a lot but that's ok since she needs to add weight. You were right, as always!! I feel so much better having her on hay all day!

I cannot thank you enough for your help. After the vet visit, I will have a better information to share with you.

I want many years with this little fuzzy angel and only want to do what's best for her. I'll be in touch soon w/more questions I'm sure. Have a lovely day! Sherry

Where are you from? Dripping Springs, Texas

How did you locate this forum? Lynette

Hi Sherry,

You are such a good horse mom!! Yes, the visits to the barn may be helpful -- it's hard to say since every horse is different. It may also be stressful traveling back and forth. Horses like routine and consistency. So, see how it goes!

You know, you may want to talk to you homeowner's association. Since they only allow one horse, they are likely not aware of horse's needs. Perhaps you could enlighten them!

Keep up the good work!

Dr. Getty

Thanks Dr. Getty! I'm trying! he he

The HOA are really nice people but have to enforce the rules. I'm going to read the by-laws for exact wording. I'm thinking a mini burro wouldn't count as a "horse" in their eyes. Who knows. One would be a good buddy for her, smaller than her and non-threatening but still companionship.

I'll let you know how the visits to the barn go.

Thanks again!
Sherry

Where are you from? Dripping Springs, TX

Hi Sherry,

You can have a burro?! Excellent!!! That would be a perfect companion for your horse.

Dr. Getty

Hi Dr. Getty!

Well, the vet came yesterday. Said she's in good health and has great teeth. They need to be floated but not urgent. Next on my to-do list.

Boy was I off on her weight. He said 1,050 and that she needs another 100. Fortunately she gets the free hay and I was already feeding 8 lbs of feed a day so we were ok there. She's FINALLY starting to slow down on the hay. I thought she was going to eat us out of house & home faster than we anticipated!

He couldn't explain the sweating since she's showing no other signs of ill health. She already has somewhat of a winter coat & he mentioned Cushings (scared me to death!) But he felt like that really wasn't the case as she has none of the symptoms except the sweating. He said to just watch her over time.

My question is still back to you on feed. I told him I switched to Nutrena sweet feed at purchase. I guess he thought that I was a "Nutrena" person & recommended Safe and Sound for the low starch & higher fat content. We discussed her problem w/pellets & he said to set up the feeder (like you did), wet the feed, spread it out, & I should have no problems. I'm afraid he may have not mentioned all my options because he thought I favored Nutrena. I know he's a Purina man! I trust my vet & he's a very experienced horseman outside of his practice.

But, I trust you with feeding issues more than anyone and really want your approval or suggestions. Those pellets scare me w/her history but his instructions make sense to me also. What do you think?

Thank you so much for your help with this! You really are wonderful to help so many people. I don't know when you find time for yourself!

Bless you,
Sherry

PS, still waiting on an ok from the HOA about a mini burro. That would just tickle me pink. I'll let you know what they say.

Where are you from? Dripping Springs, TX

Hi Sherry,

I understand your fear of feeding pellets, so there is no need to feed them if you feel there is any risk. You have other options. You can feed a senior feed -- they are not pelleted. Or, and this is my preference, you can feed a moistened beet pulp, some alfalfa pellets, and a good flaxseed-meal based supplement like Reitsport to provide all the vitamins and minerals she needs, along with extra support for her joints and hooves.

About the possibility of cushings... watch how she sheds her winter coat this coming spring. The main sign of cushings is a winter coat that is difficult to shed.

I hope you get that burro!

Dr. Getty