Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
multiple nutritional needs- which to feed

Hi Dr Getty,
I have a warmblood/Tb cross with a history of OCD, mild impaction colic tendencies, poor muscle development(weak hind end, no top line) and now a large urinary bladder stone.
He has had a recent severe weight loss due possibly from our move from the north and adjustment to new type of hay and pasture (coastal bermuda).
He was on a scant 2 qts/day Purina Equine Sr with lots of alfalfa/grass hay and only half day turnout up north and was fat.
Since our move 10 months ago we've gotten his weight up to almost normal but he still looks gaunt and dull.
He now gets 1 1/2 qt Purina Horse Chow 100 + 1 1/2 qt Purina Equine Sr(twice daily) with 1 cup rice bran and 1 oz electrolyte powder each feed, 3+ flakes of coastal bermuda twice daily and all day turnout on coastal pasture. All the other horses in the barn eat less, work more and are fat. I had been questioning EPSM with my vet when we discovered the golfball size bladder stone (currently being tested for content)According to the vet usually calcium based. Muscle enzyme blood tests are negative. Still wondering about some form of muscle myopathy since he has always been weak and unbalanced. The recent weight loss and dullnes is probably from the stone, but I am wondering how to best feed this horse to prevent future stones and cover the possibility of EPSM. I am having difficulty cross referencing feed contents to address stones and EPSM nutrition.
Thanks for your help
Debbie

Where are you from? aiken sc

Re: multiple nutritional needs- which to feed

Hi Debbie,

If your horse does have EPSM (Equine Polysaccharide Myopathy), he should be on a starch-free diet. So that would mean changing what you are feeding. He cannot tolerate cereal grains and the feeds you are providing are made from oats and corn.

I'll be glad to help you with his diet, but it is beyond the scope of this forum, since he has several health issues that need to be taken into consideration. So, please consider contacting me for a phone visit.

In the meantime, you can change to a low starch diet, such as Triple Crown Low Starch. And, I would also add Flaxseed meal to his diet to help with weight gain. Nutra Flax is what I'd recommend since it is pure flaxseed meal without any added oats.

Once you get the stone analysis back, please consider making an appointment, since the content of that stone will influence how he should be fed.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO