Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
something to eat

I have a question too! I have some really good grass hay I feed along with some alfalfa. These horses get some pasture, which isn't much this time of year, and when I feed them in there pens (10 lbs.)they eat it all in a couple of hours. Then there is nothing tell morning. I would like them to have something to munch on during this time. They are very round! I am thinking of just some straw, since I haven't found any more mature hay. Would that be bad to give them straw to chew? I would think it would be a whole lot better than wood! What is your educated answer please?

Where are you from? Oregon

Re: something to eat

Hi Kasey,

You're right on target! They do need to be able to nibble on something throughout the night in order to keep their digestive system healthy and to prevent ulcers. But, straw is not a good idea. The risk of choke and even colic is too high.

I would suggest that you provide them with hay in a hay bag so they have to work a little to get it. Horses are trickle feeders and need the constant supply of forage.

Plus, here's the good news... Once you give them enough hay that they even have some left over in the morning, they will actually slow down their eating. They eat quickly because they are anxious to get hay. But, once they realize that there is plenty available, it doesn't become so important to eat so quickly. I've seen this time and time again with numerous horses in your situation.

For the first few days, they will gobble up the hay, but you'll see -- they will calm down and eat less as time goes on.

If they are eating wood, they may also be low in magnesium in their diet. I recommend you add some Quiessence (1 to 2 ounces/day) to their meal.

Keep me posted!

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

Dr. Getty, they are doing fine. In just one day, they are not eating all the hay!

I thought they were only to have 1 or 1 1/2 lbs. per hundred pounds a day. I hope they don't get any fatter. But it is a good feeling they have all they want to eat and are happy.

Thanks so much!

Where are you from? Oregon

Hi Kasey,

The amount of feed depends on the level of exercise they are doing, along with other health factors. But, in the case of forage, the ideal situation is to let them graze on pasture 24/7. When this is not feasible, hay is the only other choice. When hay is the only thing being fed, I like to feed 2 to 2.5% of their body weight. So, that's around 1/3 to 1/2 bale of hay each day.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO