Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Young off the track mare with hock problems

Hi all.
I have a soon to be 5 year old mare that I got from the track. I recently had a chiropracter out who used Kenesiology (spelling?) or "talking" to her to find out what is wrong. Vet after vet and ferrier after ferrier had said she just has "weak hocks" so trot, trot, trot to strengthen them. Well, she hates to trot and according to the chiro she is in pain with a very extensive case of arthritis as well as an abundance of yeast in her system.

She suggested I put her on a low / no starch diet, inject hocks for temp relief, put her on Hyaluronic Acid for long term relief, and supplement her with Accel (it was just one of many brand names she offered).

Is there anything else I can do to help her recover and maintain her health? I want her to be sound for many years but my original purchase was for a barrel horse. Is this feasible with her given condition? She is boarded and there is no real turnout that is not full of 10" of mud and no grazing to be had.

FYI - I had the vet out and injected her hocks with a combo or steroids and hyaluronic acid today at her suggestion. Thoughts?

Where are you from? Michigan

How did you locate this forum? Internet search for Triple Crown which results included a posting from here

Re: Young off the track mare with hock problems

Hi Cynthia,

She is a lucky mare to have found you! It's really not possible to say whether or not she'll run barrels but with good, consistent care, she is likely to improve dramatically.

A low starch diet is best for most horses, so I recommend that you eliminate cereal grains from her diet.

The quality of protein in her diet is very important, so feed her plenty of grass hay, along with alfalfa (hay, pellets, or cubes). I recommend soaking cubes, if you choose to feed them. The combination of a grass hay along with a legume will create a high quality protein. This will provide all of the amino acids she needs to build new tissue.

Hyaluronic acid is an excellent idea, however, injections over time, can produce scar tissue. I prefer to feed it orally. There is a product that not only has hyaluronic acid, but also other components of joint tissue, as well as anti-inflammatory agents to reduce pain. It's called Actiflex 4000 and I have had a lot of success with its use.

Depending on what you are feeding, she may or may not require an additional vitamin/mineral supplement. For example, Triple Crown Lite is highly concentrated in vitamins and minerals, and if fed according to directions, you may not require anything else, other than Actiflex 4000 (this is a liquid, but it also comes in a powder form).

Another consideration is consistent exercise. This is very important, but keep it in moderation. Walking, rather than trotting, is easier on her joints and will help her build muscle to support her damaged joints.

I hope this is helpful. Please keep me posted on her progress.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

Hi Dr. Getty and thanks for the reply!

I am hoping that I caught this problem soon enough to keep her sound well into her late 20's although I guess only time will tell on that.

I am going to the North American Horse Spectacular tomorrow (Sunday) here in Michigan so I should be able to compare many low / no starch foods and get her on the right diet. I am amazed at how many people / vets say not to feed grains to horses yet just about every feed out there is mostly based on grains. Is this something based on new research and if so, why have we not heard more about it?

I will also be getting her some alfalfa cubes to munch on. I board her so really cannot dictate what type of hay they provide. Are the cubes something that will benefit her even if she only gets them when I get up there every other day or is it better to have them every day?

I only ask because I know the manager wont take time to soak them for me. Since I will be providing her food for her I am going to ask that she get more hay in exchange. They only feed two flakes twice a day now and she eats it all within 1 hour and has nothing else to munch on all day. There is also no grass left (as they have totally over grazed their fields with 50 horses).

I ordered a liquid HA (Hyluron I think) that should arrive today. I will hold off on her Accel for now. How can I tell if she is lacking in vitamins and minerals with the new diet? Is there a blood test that the vet can run on her after a month or so on the new feed?

I only wanted to get her hocks done once to get her comfy and jump start the healing / regrowth and hopefully will not need it in the future with the proper diet and feed regimine.

Her exercise is limited right now to being turned out in the indoor arena for about 3 hours. Michigan weather stinks and all pastures are mud about a foot deep now in most places at the barn and like I said above, no grazing so the horses just go stand by the gate wanting to come in.

I go up there at least every other day and have longed her but will keep it to hand walking her for now because she is still learning that she does not have to "race" off all the time. Ahh, the joys of transitioning a race horse to regular life.

Definately thanks again and yes, VERY helpful!! I will definately keep you posted and also let you know what feed I selected. Some of the brands I am looking into are Buckeye, Triple Crown, or a beetpulp without molasses.

Where are you from? Michigan

How did you locate this forum? Internet search for Triple Crown which results included a posting from here

Hi Cynthia,

Grain is generally appropriate for working horses that need additional carbohydrates for energy. The important factor in feeding grain to healthy horses is to not overfeed, so the grain doesn't end up in the hind gut.

But, the research on grain in horses' diets has been available for years. Recently, major feed companies have made changes to provide low starch feeds based on this research.

Alfalfa is best to offer on a daily basis because consistency in the diet is important for gut health. If you give her a cube or two when you see her, it will be fine, but any more than that, and you'll need to provide a daily supply.

But, my main concern for your horse is the lack of hay for many hours. Talk to your barn manager about this. You may have to spend more to get your horse fed properly.

There is no blood test that will detect borderline deficiencies in her diet. That's why a comprehensive multiple vitamin/mineral supplement is so important to fill in the gaps. If you would like for me to do a thorough analysis for you, I do offer that service and it may be helpful so you can make the best decisions regarding her needs.

I hope this is helpful. See what you can do about her barn situation. You may find that a new barn is the best bet for all concerned.

Best regards,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO