Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Worming in Michigan

Living in Michigan and having had our first frost of the year what would you say is a good worming routine. I just bought two panacur power pacs (one for each horse) and two tape care plus.

Are these a good suggestion to ensure my beasties are worm free going into next year? If so, which would you use first, and how much time between using one would it be safe to use the other?

Where are you from? Michigan

How did you locate this forum? Repeat poster now...lol

Re: Worming in Michigan

Hi Cynthia,

Are you using a daily wormer? If so, you'll want to paste worm twice each year, once with plain ivermectin and then again with the tapeworm treatment. I prefer praziquantel/invermectin combination for tapeworms, rather than the Tape Care Plus. But, since you have it, you can save it for the spring. For now, give your horses Ivermectin to get rid of bots (the other Tape Care Plus won't help with this).

Then, in the spring, you can use the Tape Care Plus for your horses.

Throughout the rest of the year, use the daily wormer.

If you administer Ivermectin now, wait a couple of months, and administer the Panacur PowerPak according to directions. During this time, you'll stop the daily wormer.

Thanks for asking!

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO