Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Horses likes milk bones

I just got a new horse and the people i got it from told me he likes milk bones. But they are for dogs and i didn't know if it was good for them or not.he eats them like candy. I am only 14 so i don't know much about horses so i figured someone a little more experienced could give me a little advice. I really love my horses and it love me and his milk bones. the only thing about the milk bone thing is does/will it make him sick or something? Will if u know anything about my problem i would appreciate if you would help me. Thanx Amanda

Where are you from? kentucky

How did you locate this forum? just looking around

Re: Horses likes milk bones

Hello I dont post at all but had to on this one,I would not feed milk bones to a horse,try changeing his snack to apples or carrots,but dont feed him alot of them.Yes the milk bones could make him sick.Have fun with your horse.

Where are you from? oklahoma

How did you locate this forum? found it on a website

Hello Amanda,

Deda is right -- do not feed milk bones to your horse. They are high in starch and will not be at all beneficial to his health.

A couple of carrots or an apple a day are fine. Alfalfa cubes (broken into small pieces, please) are also good. If your horse is overweight, however, avoid the carrots and apples since they are too high in sugar.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

Ok i won't feed it to him he really likes then but if it is bad for him then i will quit. Are sugar cubes ok? he likes them to but i don't know if they are good for him eather. thanx for the advice.

Where are you from? kentucky

How did you locate this forum? just looking around

Hi Amanda,

If your horse is young, of a good weight, and gets plenty of exercise, an occasional sugar cube is not going to be a problem. However, "occasional" means once in a while, not every day, and certainly not more than one or two cubes.

Sugar is not a nutritious treat, so while a small amount won't hurt most horses, it is not especially healthful.

All the best,

Dr. Getty :)

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO