Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
PreOx vs. Noni Juice as Antioxidant

I am feeding my four year old gelding that I use for barrel racing about 3 lbs Ultium/day along with one scoop of Accel and 1/2 scoop Nutra Flax once per day. He is out on coastal pasture 24/7. He tends to have what I believe to be grass pollen allergies that make him cough when I ride, mainly in the spring, summer and fall in TX and not as bad in the winter. I am wondering if maybe switching from the Accel to the PreOx might help him. I have used the Noni Juice this past year as an antioxidant, but it did't seem to help his cough any. What are your thoughts on the Noni Juice as an antioxidant? Should I switch to the PreOx or continue with the Accel & Noni Juice?
Thanks

Where are you from? Texas

How did you locate this forum? online search

Re: PreOx vs. Noni Juice as Antioxidant

Hi Lisa,

PreOx is what I generally recommend for any allergic response because it is much higher in antioxidants, including grape seed extract, than other supplements.

Noni juice is wonderful, but is not likely potent enough. So, switching from Accel to PreOx would be my recommendation. You can still add Noni Juice if you like, but it is not necessary.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

Hi Lisa.
I am curious as to how you know you are not over doing the vitamins / minerals. I have been looking into different feeds and supplements and my concern is especially surrounding Selenium. Many places I have found say that the maximum per day should not exceed .3ppp but many supplements contain 3.5ppm and some even 6ppm. I also know that cases of toxicity exist in some levels of minerals / vitamins.

Do you monitor your horses health via bloodwork or anything? This is not an attack as I really am curious as to how / why / what others do as I know we are all very concerned about our horses.

Thanks!

Where are you from? Michigan

How did you locate this forum? Repeat poster now...lol

Hi Cynthia,

I'll chime in here.

Selenium is listed in parts per million (ppm), but this is a concentration. The real safety zone to know about is 2 to 5 mg of Selenium per day. Lisa is feeding 3 lbs of Ultium per day, which provides approximately .7 grams of selenium. And, one ounce of Pre Ox provides 1 mg of selenium. So, she has room for more from the hay and still be safe as long as other supplements are not added that contain this mineral.

You're right about it being toxic. Selenium is very tricky and some parts of the country have too much and some have not enough, which is why I offer products that offer both options.

Bloodwork is always a good idea -- it gives you a snapshot of what's going on inside your horse. We'll certainly talk about what tests, if any, are appropriate for your horse when we visit. I'll look forward to it!

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO