Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Alfalfa Pellets vs. Alfalfa Hay for Weanling

OK, I've tried feeding my colt 2 lbs alfalfa morning & night but he just doesn't eat much of it. He only eats about 1/3 of it, if that, wasting most of it which is frustrating at $11.50/bale. As I mentioned before, he is out on coastal pasture 24/7 and comes in to his stall for morning & evening feedings then turned back out. I close him in his stall and don't turn him out until he is completely done and not eating anymore. I am only feeding a very small amount of concentrate (1/2 lb) with his supplements.

My question: How much quality amino acids are in the Equine Junior? I was feeding 2 lbs of this before trying to switch to the alfalfa and he likes it. Can I use the Equine Junior at 2 lbs/day along with the Mare & Foal IIP and Nutra Flax? Or should I get the alfalfa pellets and feed them instead of the Equine Junior?

Thanks
Lisa

Where are you from? Texas

How did you locate this forum? online search

Hi Lisa,

Since you are feeding the Mare/Foal IIP supplement, you really don't need the Equine Junior. I would suggest that you allow him to come and go and eat at will, rather than force him to eat all his feed before he gets his freedom. If he's not hungry for that amount of alfalfa, then you can reduce it. Since he's grazing all day, he may not be hungry for it.

Or you could throw the flake of alfalfa hay out into the pasture, so he can graze on it while he's busy walking about. The more natural you can make it for him, the better.

Alfalfa pellets will work well for a carrier for your supplements. Sometimes the pellets are a bit too large for weanlings, so try moistening them into a mush and mix in his supplements. He'll get messy, but he'll be cute!

Keep me posted!

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

Won't work throwing the alfalfa out in the pasture as I have another horse that I am sure would eat it instead of the weanling.

I have decided to feed the alfalfa pellets and use them as a carrier for the Mare & Foal IIP and NutraFlax. The pellets will just work much easier for my situation. The alfalfa pellets I purchased are small, about the size of other horse feed pellets so my weanling shouldn't have any problems eating them. They are Purina Alfalfa Pellets Suncured. I noticed on the ingredients tag that it lists forage products, animal fat preserved with ethoxyquin, and molasses products. Should I be concerned about the "animal fat preserved with ethoxyquin"? I will be feeding 2 lbs/day.
Thanks again!!
Lisa

Hi Lisa,

The alfalfa pellets that you purchased are really not the best to feed, especially to a youngster. They add animal fat to the alfalfa and horses are not designed to eat animal fat -- there are herbivores, as you know. The molasses is likely a small amount, so I'm not too concerned about that. The preservative is not necessary. The reason it's added is because the animal fat can go rancid without it.

So, the best type of alfalfa pellet to feed is simply plain alfalfa in pelleted form. Your feed store may carry a different brand, or perhaps you'll need to shop somewhere else.

Plain alfalfa pellets do not have added fat, and therefore, do not require a perservative.

Good luck! Keep me posted!

Dr. Getty

Thanks! I just assumed when I asked for alfalfa pellets at the feed store that I would get just plain alfalfa pellets. I didn't read the tag until I got home and had opened the bag. I'll shop around and try to find plain alfalfa pellets with nothing added. Thanks again!

Hi Lisa,

Glad to help!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Dr. Getty

OK...after reading all of the alfalfa pellet tags at numerous feed stores, with many of them containing animal fat, this is what I found:

Nutrena's Naturewise Alfa Pellets Plus (GD)
Crude Protein - min 17%
Crude Fat - min 2%
Crude Fiber - min 28%
Ingrediants - dehydrated alfalfa meal, plant protein products, processed grain by-products.

Are these OK? I am feeding 2 lbs of alfalfa pellets, 2 oz Nutra Flax & 2 oz Mare & Foal IIP to my 6 month colt with free choice coastal bermuda pasture and/or hay.

Also, I was surprised to read that the MVP Mare and Foal IIP I am feeding has animal fat in it. Do you know why animal fat is used? Since I am only feeding 2 oz/day I assume the small amount of animal fat will not effect my colt?

Thanks
Lisa

Hi Lisa,

These pellets will work better than the previous ones. About the Mare/Foal IIP.. I will get back to you with more info.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Hi Lisa,

As I thought, the Mare/Foal IIP does not carry animal fat. I had to contact the manufacturer. The label is outdated and they will be providing a new one soon.

Sorry for the confusion.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Thanks for checking on the Mare & Foal IIP! Glad to hear there is no animal fat in it (even though the label says there is). Guess you can't always believe what you read on a label.

Thanks again!