Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Flax Seed

Hi,

I feed flax seed, just whole, unsoaked, about a cup a day. Is feeding it whole harmful? Thanks for this great site!

Where are you from? Oregon

How did you locate this forum? yahoo search

Re: Flax Seed

Hi Susan,

Feeding flaxseeds whole is not especially harmful if fed in small quantities, but it is a waste since your horse is not able to break open the small seeds to get at the inside pulp. The seeds will simply pass through his digestive system undigested. The bacterial flora in the hind gut may ferment some of the fibrous hull, but your goal in feeding flaxseeds it to provide nutritious omega 3 fatty acids. And, your horse is not getting these the way you're currently feeding.

So, there are a couple of options. The first is to grind them in a coffee grinder and feed 1/4 cup each day. You'll need to grind no more than 3 or 4 days worth and keep the meal refrigerated, since it can go rancid very easily.

But another problem with this method is that the calcium/phosphorus ratio in flaxseeds in inverted, so unless you are feeding a feed that is high in calcium, you may be providing too much phosphorus by feeding them ground.

The second option is to purchase a stabilized flaxseed meal product that does not require refrigeration, and is more economical. Nutra Flax is a pure flaxseed meal product that has added calcium to provide more calcium than phosphorus. And Nutra Flax does not have added grain, like other flaxseed meal products on the market.

So, I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have any more questions.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO