Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Laminitis??

Hi Dr.Getty,
My husband owns a horse that has tender feet a lot of the time. He's the one that had the colic surgery @ 3 years ago. He likes to stand like a gaited horse (parked out) he's a quarter horse. I just had him timmed and told the farrier how he likes to stand and not to trim him too short because he has tender feet. He said it sounds like he could be prone to laminitis. He is @ 1100 lbs. and gets 6 lbs of safe choice, ground flax seed, and canola oil split into two feedings a day. He also gets a little alfalfa in the morning (very little) and coastal 2-3 times a day. He's turned out all the time... to bad there's no grass right now. Do you think I'm feeding him too much safechoice? When I let him out around the house to eat grass he seems to get more tender footed for a little while.... What is the best thing to do with him. My husband is really tight with the hay........ That is driving me crazy

Thanks for your time!
Lynette

Where are you from? Bastrop Texas

Re: Laminitis??

Hi Lynette,

From what you describe, he may be prone toward laminitis. Does he have a cresty neck? Fat deposits on his rump? If so, you should give him Quiessence --a magnesium/chromium supplement to reduce his circulating insulin levels.

I would also suggest that you replace his alfalfa hay with grass hay, for now.

This time of year, in Texas, the pasture is not really a concern, but if the Quiessence and removal of alfalfa doesn't help, you may have to limit his grazing to only the early morning hours when the sugar levels are at their lowest.

6 lbs of Safe Choice may or may not be too much depending on how much feed he needs. If he appears to be overweight, then you'll want to reduce that.

Grass hay is your best bet, all around, along with a small meal plus a good vitamin/mineral supplement and Quiessence.

Hope this is helpful!

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO