Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Salt vs. Electrolytes

Dear Dr. Getty,
My tb tends to suffer from mild cases of colic whenever the temp drops. I have learned that I need to help keep his body temp up. I will increase his hay by about 2 more flakes a day. I feed 3 times a day with the middle feeding being beet pulp with Ration Plus and I am also informed that it would be a good idea to make the mash with hot/warm water. Lastly, I have learned that I need to make sure he is drinking enough. Here's my question........What is the difference between regular salt and electrolytes? Which one would be better in my case?

Where are you from? Florida

Re: Salt vs. Electrolytes

Hi Sue,

I agree with you that he should have added salt in his diet to encourage more water intake. I prefer a plain white salt block that's available if he wants it. Plus, add 2 tablespoons per day of table salt (from the grocery store) to his meals (divided between meals).

Instead of adding electrolytes, it sounds like he would benefit from an overall vitamin/mineral supplement to fill in the gaps, since you are not feeding a complete commercial feed. One that is economical and quite complete is Accel. Another one, that has added omega 3 fatty acids, along with support for his hooves is Glanzen. You can mix either one of these with his warm beet pulp mash.

Thanks for writing!

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

Dear Dr. Getty,

Thank you for your reply. I will start with the salt right away. I do feed a.m. and p.m. oats with Grow and Win made by Buckeye Nutrition. The beet pulp is his middle meal only (lunch). Do I still need a vitamin as well?

Where are you from? Florida

Hi Sue,

No, if you are feeding Grow and Win according to directions, you do not need to provide an additional vitamin/mineral supplement.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO