Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
The Dos and Don'ts for Mares in Foal

Hi!!
This is quite a general question for what you should and shouldn't give mares in foal, eg. which wormers, most say on it and I do tend to ring the vet if i'm ever unsure. ALso, when giving her a mineral lick which ones are okay? And what should I be feeding her, she is now 5->6 months in foal... I know, it's a pretty general question, but I always like the viewpoint and advice from another person! She's the mare of mine which has the lymphangitis, which during the summer was gone and has reappeared in one hind leg just today.
Thanks for your help!
xx Leila

Where are you from? Ireland

Re: The Dos and Don'ts for Mares in Foal

Hi Leila,

Congratulations on your upcoming foal!

Yes, you can and should continue with her worming program while she is pregnant. Her diet needs to be complete, providing enough vitamins and minerals for her additional needs, along with plenty of high quality forage. Mineral blocks will not meet this need, so it is best to provide a vitamin/mineral supplement designed for pregnant mares. Offer a plain, white salt block instead for her salt needs.

During her last three months of pregnancy, her calorie needs will increase dramatically, so you will want to increase her feed. Feeding more meals, rather than increasing the meal size, is safest and better for her. Consider adding alfalfa to her diet, as well, for additional protein and calcium.

Happy foaling!

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO