Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
To much?

Hi Dr.Getty,

You have helped me before and I think my 'recipe' is working good.

Right now my 2 TB's are getting:
6lbs beet pulp (dry weight) 2x/day
1lb alfalfa pellets (lunch)
125g 2x/day enriched ground flax (flax, alfalfa, canola oil)
apple peelings (if I have any)
24/7 alfalfa/timothy/grass mix
Dr.Reeds complete vit/min supplement 300g daily
plain salt block

Ok for my question,
how much weight can a horse gain per day?
Mine have put on close to 100lbs in 2 months on this recipe so that is realy good.

Am I over feeding or feeding to much so the calcium to phoshorus ratio could be wonky?

The one TB has never looked so good and I have had him for 4 yrs now.

I will take a pic of him to show you just how good he is looking compared to before I got your wonderful advice.

You are a good sent, thank you so much for all your help.

Jenn

Where are you from? canada

How did you locate this forum? internet

Re: To much?

Sorry I ment to say that they get 3lbs beetpulp 2x/day, for a total of 6lbs.

Sorry
Jenn

Where are you from? canada

How did you locate this forum? internet

Re: To much?

Hi Jenn,

You are doing a fabulous job! Once they reach their ideal weight, you'll want to cut back so they don't become overweight.

I like the fact that you're feeding alfalfa because flaxseed meal, when ground yourself, has an inverted calcium/phosphorus ratio. So, the alfalfa will boost the calcium content.

If you have a before and after picture that you could send me, that would be wonderful!

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO