Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
high energy horses

Hi Dr. Getty

I have had a horse boarded at my barn for 1 month and when she came to us the owners did not know what type of feed she was on, only that she was feed coastal hay. I currently use Triple Crown Low Starch and the Triple Crown Complete as the choices for boarded horses. The owner of this mare mostly uses her for Fox Hunting and say the past few weeks she has been way to energetic on the hunt. She is 11 years old and in good condition. She gets 1 cup of the Complete 2X a day and hay = T&A 3-4 flakes per day. She is also on pasture 12 - 15 hrs per day. The owner wants her switched to Triple Crown Senior. This has a higher protein level would this solve the overly high energy level of this mare. I thought the complete was a cool feed giving consistent energy so horses would not be hot? What would you recommend?
Thank you for any advice you can give.
Patty

Where are you from? Florida

Re: high energy horses

Hi Patty,

Thank you for writing about your mare. She seems to be sensitive to higher circulating sugar levels (from the digestion of starch) so it is best to go with the TC Low Starch rather than the Complete or the Senior. In addition, her diet may be low in magnesium (most horse diets are), so many of my clients have had good success with adding Quiessence to the diet -- only one ounce per day would be sufficient.

I hope this is helpful. Please keep me posted.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO