Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Carbs Vs. Low Starch for Performance Horses

I am confused about the whole carbs vs. low starch feeding for performance horses. I understand the theory behind the low starch. What I don't understand is that performance horses supposedly need carbs for the quick bursts of speed needed during performance (barrel racing). Am I limiting my horse's performance potential by not feeding additional carbs in the form of grains? I am currently feeding 1 lb Ultium, 1 oz PreOx, 1 oz Nutra Flax twice per day with a small amount of alfalfa and free choice coastal bermuda pasture and/or hay. My horse doesn't need much concentrate to maintain weight.

Here is a link to an article written by Tom Ivers about race horse nutrition that got me pondering this:
http://www.tomivers.com/home/equine/web_tomivers/monthly_reviews.html

I would be interested in hearing your take on this (the need for carbs in race/performance horses) as it relates to a barrel horse.
Thanks
Lisa

Where are you from? Texas

How did you locate this forum? online search

Re: Carbs Vs. Low Starch for Performance Horses

Here is the link that got me thinking about this:

http://www.barrelhorseworld.com/forum/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=99252&posts=3&start=1

Where are you from? Texas

How did you locate this forum? online search

I don't mean to steal the post, but am concerned too.

My understanding is horses normally get plenty of carbs from the hay. I also feel from studies done by Tom Ivers that a couple of pounds a couple of hours before exercise and after exercise is good. To do this after exercise helps replenish carbs to get energy to take care of damage done by exercise.

Hi Lisa and Kasey,

Performance horses do need more carbohydrates in the diet and therefore, adding some oats is fine in most cases. However, horses that have ulcers, are insulin resistant, are prone toward laminitis, etc., should not have oats or any other grain.

And, if you do feed oats, it is best to limit it to no more than 2 to 3 lbs per day. Too much, if it hits the hind gut, can lead to colic and even laminitis.

Horses' digestive systems are not designed to consume large amounts of grain. They get carbohydrates from grass, hay, and other forages that are typically found in horse rations (such as beet pulp, soybean hulls, etc.).

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO