Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Glanzen, Accel & Bioflax question

Hi Dr. Getty-

The supplements I'm currently feeding are 1 oz of Accel and 1 oz Bioflax 20. I would like to add some more flaxseed to my horse's diet than what is in the Bioflax 20. I was looking at Glanzen3 and Glanzen Lite products.

I was wondering if either the Glanzen3 or Glanzen Lite would be an adequate switch from the Accel and Bioflax. I don't want to have to buy additional flaxseed and it would be nice to only feed 1 combined supplement instead of 3. I'm just not sure if I would be short changing him on any vitamins that is in the Accel or if the Glanzen products I mentioned are just fine in that area.

My horse also gets free choice Bermuda grass, 1 1/2-2 lbs soaked beet pulp with 1-2 oz plain salt and about 3lbs alfalfa/bermuda pellets twice a day. Of course plenty of clean water.

If you think I would be better off with what I am currently feeding then that is what I will do. I want the best for my horse.

I thank you in advance for your thoughts on this.

Angel

Where are you from? California

Re: Glanzen, Accel & Bioflax question

Hi Angel,

I agree, it is much nicer to have one product than three. Glanzen is an excellent way to combine what you are currently using and also add flax. I would go with the regular Glanzen rather than the lite, since that way you'll be giving more flaxseed meal. And, you can then discontinue feeding Accel and Bioflax20.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

Thank you for answering my question Dr. Getty! I have a couple of months left tell I run out of my current supplements then I'm going to order the Glanzen. I will be leaving around Christmas for a week and will have a friend feed my horse. To make feeding easier for my friend I was thinking of premixing my Accel, Bioflax20 and salt in individual ziploc bags labeled for each day of the week. 2 of these bags will have psyllium added to them. That way she only has to pour the entire bag into the soaked beet pulp instead of measuring each. My question is does premixing dry supplements like this break down any of the nutrients? They would only stay premixed in the ziploc bags for 7 days at the most before they are consumed. Thanks Dr. Getty. The peace of mind you give us all is such a blessing!

This just came to my mind after I posted the above. To make things even easier for my friend would it be ok for me to add my 1 pound of dry shredded beet pulp to each premixed bag of supplements? How nice it would be to only have to dump the ziploc bag into a bucket and add water. If I can do any of these I know I won't worry as much while being gone. When I was gone for 2 weeks last summer I was always wondering if the person forgot to mix in a supplement or put in too much of another or even gave my horse too much or too little beet pulp. Thanks for taking the time Dr. Getty!!

Hi Angel,

Certainly -- you can prepare the whole thing, along with the beet pulp, and then add water! Great plan!

Have a wonderful trip!

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO