Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
diet

I am feeding my horses all the grass hay they want and alfalfa, 5 pounds a day, two pounds of rice bran a day with Horse Guard "Mega". I was thinking of adding flax seed meal to be sure they get a well rounded amino acids. Is this too much added fat? Is the alfalfa alone sufficient for amino acids?

Re: diet

Hi Kasey,

It's not necessary to add flaxseed meal for the amino acid content. By feeding grass and alfalfa hays, you're creating a complete, high quality protein. The additional flaxseed would useful for the omega 3 fatty acids, which are needed for joint health and a healthy immune system. This is especially important during the winter months when horses typically do not have access to pasture. Rice bran is fine, but it is not high in omega 3s. Make certain that your rice bran product is stabilized and has added calcium to balance out the high phosphorus content.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

Oh good! The amino acids are all supplied. I could change the rice bran to Nutra-Flax to get more omega-3 and quality. My question is how palitable is the Nutra-Flax? I would be feeding it with my HorseGuard to help with the vitamins/minerals. I do feed a couple of pounds of oats when needed for carb boost. Thanks for your help.

Hi Kasey,

Most horses enjoy flaxseed meal. Nutra Flax is very palatable and has a nice nutty flavor. Start out with a small amount and even add a little water to help it stick to the rest of the feed.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

Thank you Dr. Getty! All the Best to you, Kasey