Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Colic

My horse is 17 and had a bad start to life. She is very prone to colic. I have heard may differant ideas on what to put her on. I still dont know what is the best hay. I have her on bermuda and I have herd that timathy would be better for her. Is that true and is there any thing else I should have her on becided senior? Thanks

Where are you from? California

How did you locate this forum? web search

Re: Colic

Hi Roxy,

Colic can be caused by many different things, so it's really hard to say if it's the bermuda hay or not. Certainly, she needs to have hay, and bermuda is fine. I have had several clients whose horses colicked when being left without anything to eat for hours. Then, when they get the hay, they bolt it down so fast, that an impaction can be created.

I certainly don't know if that's the case with your horse, but just keep in mind that hay and/or pasture needs to be provided throughout the day, preferably 24/7, so horses can relax and eat at their leisure.

If hay is very dry and stemmy, this can sometimes create a problem. And, having plenty of water nearby is also very important.

If these suggestions are not helpful, please consider setting up a phone consultation appointment so we can go over the big picture and help prevent another episode.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO