Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
joint supplements

Hey Dr. Getty - I've got a question regarding joint supplements and bioavailability. I have been looking at a few different joint supplements for my young horses. Nimble Supreme, Cortaflx, and Nu-Flex. All vary in price and ingredients, my question is... the Nimble Supreme has good stuff in it, but for the price, how much is actually utilized and how much would be pooped out? Its the same question for the others. What I like in the Nimble Supreme is the omega 3 to omega 6 ratio, the hydrolized collagen, which the other two don't have. What is your opinion? Thanks, Cheri

Where are you from? Palm Desert, CA

How did you locate this forum? Nutrena safe choice articles

Re: joint supplements

Hi Cheri,

Excellent question! Actually, I like Actiflex 4000 because there are other ingredients in it that help with the absorption of glucosamine and chondroitin sulfate. These ingredients include Vitamin C and an herb called boswella serrate. This product is especially helpful for horses that have pain associated with arthritis.

But, in general, the bioavailability of joint supplements is relatively good. They require stomach acid to be absorbed, and that's never a problem with horses, since their stomachs continually produce acid.

Hope this is helpful! If you decide to try the Actiflex, let me know how you like it. I recently adopted an old horse with joint pain, and it is working very nicely; he went from taking baby steps to running and bucking the other day!

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

Hi!!! Is there any difference between Actiflex 4000 and Actiflex powder?

Hi Sherry,

No, essentially they are the same. But since one is a powder, the ingredients are appropriate to prevent caking and absorption.

I personally prefer the liquid, Actiflex 4000, because it is absorbed faster, and it coats the feed better. But, I have many, many clients who love the Actiflex Powder, as well.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO