Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: XTN and gastric ulcers- need advice

One last thing what do you think of the biotin issue that ultuim has. there is no added biotin unlike xtn and triple crown. Do you think that is something to consider, and ultuim I noticed doesnt have the added Vitamins that xtn and tc have. What is the reason for this? Does this make tc an xtn a more complete balanced feed?

Where are you from? wisconsin

How did you locate this forum? google

Re: XTN and gastric ulcers- need advice

Hi Jamie,

Let me address two things.

First, regarding the use of gastrogard for an ulcer. This is a helpful treatment for the short term. It prevents the secretion of stomach acid, so that the stomach lining can heal. However, for the long term, it is really not advisable. Stomach acid is necessary to help destroy bacteria, parasites, spores, etc. that your horse picks up in his feed. So, I see a lot of secondary infections from using this medication.

The best way to manage an ulcer is to cure it, rather than treat it. There are several ways to go about this, depending on the situation. So, I can help you put together a plan to work over the long term to help your horse recover from this painful and dangerous disorder.

Regarding the supplementation in complete rations... Ultium does not contain the same level of vitamins and minerals as other feeds do. And, this is the problem with commmerical feeds. I generally prefer to mix a few simple ingredients, and then add the appropriate supplements. I like to add a good vitamin/mineral supplement and specific nutrients that meet the individual needs of the horse. For example, performance horses require at least 2000 IU of vitamin E per day. No commercial ration contains this much. So, you end up "supplementing the supplement" and this can be risky, certainly expensive, and sometimes it can create imbalances (especially with minerals).

So, what I do for my clients is customize a feeding plan that will be specific to their horses' needs. I know it's so much easier to just open a bag and scoop out the feed, but it really is a "one size fits all" situation, and all horses are individuals.

Ultium is a good feed, but like all commerical rations, it has its limitations.

Please take a look at my "Talk to Dr. Getty" page and let's consider working together on your horse's health.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO