Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
table bran mash frequency

hi dr. getty! great site :)

a friend where i board brought in a large bag of "table bran" to make mashes out of. she feeds this to her horse a couple nights a week as a treat and encouraged me to do the same. my trainer told me this wasn't healthy, as giving them bran more than once a week can cause them to have problems with absorbing vitamins, and even cause them to lose weight. so i'm wondering, is it safe to give them mashes as a treat, or should it be done more or less regularly, or not at all?

the horses in question are all in good weight, healthy, are out on pasture with grass hay and eat 3-4 flakes of grass hay and a coffee can of sweet or pelleted feed in their stalls at night. thank you so much for any information on the subject! :)

Where are you from? easton, pa

How did you locate this forum? recommendation from COTH forums

Re: table bran mash frequency

Hi Jara,

I agree with your trainer. Bran, in high quantities can bind certain minerals, so if it is fed, it needs to be fed in moderation. Also most bran is not balanced for the proper calcium:phosphorus ratio. So, here again, if fed regularly, it can lead to an inverted ratio, where there is more phosphorus than calcium in the diet. This can be quite harmful.

And, the last problem with this feeding regimen is the lack of consistency. When a new feed is introduced into the diet, the bacterial flora in the hind gut have to adjust. So, a new feed needs to be added slowly and provided every day. If only offered once in a while, you risk an episode of colic.

The only bran I ever recommend is rice bran that has been stabilized and fortified with calcium. And, because it is high in fat, it is a good supplement for horses that need to gain weight.

But, in your case, I do not see the need to add bran to the diet. If you want to give them a warm and tasty treat, you could soak some alfalfa cubes in some warm water and give that to them regularly. The alfalfa will boost the protein quality of the grass hay diet, as well.

Thanks for writing!

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

thank you so much for replying! i will forward this to my friends. :)

Where are you from? easton, pa

How did you locate this forum? recommendation from COTH forums

Glad to help!

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO