Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Sudan Grass Hay

Recently purchased some sudan grass/alfalfa hay from a reputable hay broker. It is very soft(was cut early) with good color and smell. There is a minimal amount of alfalfa in it as well. My horses eat it but not ravenously as they do with straight alfalfa. Is this a suitable hay for horses?

Where are you from? Placerville,California

How did you locate this forum? looking for equine nutrition info.

Re: Sudan Grass Hay

Hi Robin,

Sudan grass is a grain hay, and in general, I prefer to avoid these. The sugar and starch levels are high, and if your horse has any tendency at all toward laminitis (due to genetics, other dietary factors, obesity, etc.), you would want to feed a grass hay, combined with a lesser amount of a legume hay (like alfalfa).

Feeding plain alfalfa is not a good thing to do because it is very high in protein and calcium. Balancing it out, however, with a grass hay (such as bermuda, timothy, orchard, brome, etc.) is the best way to feed.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

Hey, guys- isn't Sudangrass toxic??>?

Hi Vicki,

I'm glad you brought this up because sudan grass, if improperly harvested, can contain cyanide. If the grass has suffered a hard frost, this brings out the poison. If too much is consumed, it can lead to severe urinary infections.

However, there are different species of sudan (sorghum) grass and some are quite safe. So, growers who produce this hay for horses should, hopefully, be aware of the species.

Bottom line -- I don't recommend it, even if it is horse-safe because of what I mentioned earlier. And, as you brought up, it can be toxic if the wrong variety is fed.

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO