Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Pssm Diets....

Im just wondering what your "ideal" pssm diet is??

my mare tested positive a couple weeks ago, and as per Dr. valbergs feeding plan:
she is on 2 lbs naturalglo, vit. e, selenium and magnesium (she can get alittle "hot" at times), oil, and grass hay..

is there anything else i could/should be doing to ensure her nutritional needs are met?

im not 100% familiar with lysine, but it was mentioned to me that it may help promote proper muscle metabolism.. is that true?
thanks

Where are you from? minnesota

How did you locate this forum? through another forum.. Horsecity..

Re: Pssm Diets....

Hi Juanita,

Your diet is low in starch and high in fat, which is fine. Additional lysine would help, since grass hay is low in this essential amino acid.

It is also important to include an overall, comprehensive vitamin/mineral supplement. One that is flaxseed meal based, such as Glanzen, is worth considering since it would provide omega 3 fatty acids (rice bran is too low in omega 3s to be of value).

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO