Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
horse quit eating feed

I dont know what else to do. My gelding was getting fed xtn and he quit eating it or would eat it really slowly. Then I switched him to ultium about a month ago. Well he quit eating that to or he eats it very slowly to. I dont know what eles to do with him. He is such a picky eater and if I add anything like a supplement to his grain he quits eating it. I heard that a inbalence of the calcium phospharous ratio can cause a picky eater due to it making their jaw bone sore. He was diagnosed with ulcers back in october, but has always been a picky eater. What do you suggest I do to get him eatin his grain?? I am afraide he is not getting all the nutriants that he needs.
thanks, jamie

Where are you from? wisconsin

How did you locate this forum? google

Re: horse quit eating feed

Hi Jamie,

It's not likely that he has a calcium/phosphorus imbalance if you're feeding a commercial ration. And, his lack of appetite may very well be due to his ulcer.

I recommend B vitamins to assist with the curing of his digestive lining, as well as to improve appetite. B Plex is worth considering.

But, his situation sounds more complex than a simple vitamin prescription. I would first have him examined by your veterinarian and have blood work done to see if his liver and kidneys are working properly. This, too, can influence appetite. So, it is really best to rule out medical issues before making changes to his diet, since a poor appetite can be indicative of much more than mere pickiness.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

hello!
Thank you for relying! Thanks for the advice I am deffinenlty going to get him checked out and get blood work done. When I had him scoped for ulcers the vet noticed that he has crusty skin, we call it sun burn, but the vet was worried it may be much more. SO he did blood work on him to make sure his liver was working ok because he thought it was a form of photosensivity from buckwheat or st johns wort. Thanks again for repying and have a merry christmas,
Jamie

Hi Jamie,

St. John's Wort is toxic to horses, so if you are giving him this herb, it is best to discontinue it.

Hope all goes well.

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

hello!
No Iam not giving st johns wort to him. I looked in my pasture to see if we had it in our area to see if that maybe what is causing him to be so sensitive, but I didnt find any, luckly.
jamie