Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Supplements for horse with ulcer/sweet itch

Hi Dr Getty, I'm looking through your recommended supplements list and trying to decide what would be best to get for my tb with "issues".
She has an ulcer, probably had it since her racing days years ago. I've been able to improve her condition a lot with very careful feeding, but she's still not 100%. She also suffers from severe sweet itch, which seems to be tied in to her weakened immune system. She should be near black, but her coat fades out to yellow in the summer.
I'm now feeding her flaxseed and rice bran which has helped her to gain some condition and get a bit of a shine to her coat. But she is still bothered by the sweet itch, and ulcer.
I'm tossing up between the Ration Plus, Blackenall, MSM, or ?
Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Sue

Where are you from? Taiwan

How did you locate this forum? From Dr Getty's Homepage

Re: Supplements for horse with ulcer/sweet itch

Hi Sue,

The Blackenall would be helpful because of its mineral content (especially copper), but I would not recommend simply Blackenall in your horse's case.

Instead, she would benefit from Reitsport or Reitsport-HA100 depending on her joint health. This contains the same minerals as Blackenall, but also a variety of other nutrients to boost her immune function and repair her skin, coat, digestive system, and keep her vital organs healthy.

To help with her ulcers, make certain that she has hay available to her at all times -- 24/7. She needs to be able to chew in order to produce saliva (which neutralizes stomach acid). She also needs to drink water -- lots of it.

For ulcers, I recommend two approaches, in addition to providing quality grass hay and water. First, Ration Plus, which will increase the health of the bacterial flora in the hind gut, which will result in more B vitamin production, and hence, healing of her digestive lining.

The second thing is Tractgard, to assist with her current situation by further neutralizing acid and bringing more water into the digestive tract. This is a short term treatment -- and used as needed.

I notice that you are in Taiwan. If you decide to get these products, shipping costs to your area of the world would be quite high, so I hope you're able to find something closer to home.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

Thanks Dr Getty.
Rosie's got all the correct anti-ulcer lifestyle ingredients now, (free choice hay, low grain/high fat supplementation, lives with herd) but still the problems persist.
Will try the Ration Plus and Reitsport as suggested. Thanks. I have some friends coming over from the US, so will help with shipping. There's really very little available here. Feeding her a cup of yoghurt twice a day has helped though.
I noticed that you suggested corn oil as a supplement for horses with ulcers. Is this just to keep the weight on, or does it have other benefit?
Thanks,SUe

Where are you from? Taiwan

How did you locate this forum? website

Hi Sue,

Corn oil has been shown to reduce the level of damage to the mucosal lining of the stomach, so it is useful when administering bute to a horse that is prone toward ulcers. Canola oil is also helpful.

Yogurt is not as effective as a more potent probiotic since it does not contain as many colony forming units (CFUs) as a good probiotic would contain. Also, it contains lactose and adult horses are lactose intolerant. So, it can cause diarrhea, gas and bloating in most horses.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO