Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
feeding program

We recently purchased a 2 and 1/2 year old haflinger/percheron cross. The vet is recommending that we feed her 5-6 flakes of hay a day and a handful of grain two times a day. We are new to owning big horses as we have had a mini for the last 4 years. She is being ridden/trained 5-6 days a week for about an hour each time. I am concerned that she this feeding program will not accomodate her growth. Can you please advise on what you would recommend feeding and what supplements you would recommend. Her primary use will be as a pleasure pet for our daughter. She will be trained to drive in the Spring.
Thanks.

Where are you from? Storrs,Ct

How did you locate this forum? via Yahoo message board

Re: feeding program

I'll throw in a couple of questions here, before Dr. G answers. I've always heard that a growing horse needs at least 2-2.5 percent of its body weight in hay/forage/grass everyday. Do you know about what your filly weighs, about what her adult weight will be, and what 6 flakes of your hay weigh? Is it grass, alfalfa, or mixed hay? That'll make a difference in how much thay he filly has to have - alfalfa is a lot more "nutrient-dense" with protein and calcium, but doesn't have enough phosphorus to balance the calcium. Grass hay has a better balance of Ca , but less protein. If you have an analysis on your hay, that might help.

On a 2 1/2 year old - I've never ridden one that young for any length of time. I always have heard to try to wait until they're closer to 4. But, maybe Dr. G. has more insight into that. Always heard that it's hard on their knees because of plates not being fused or something. Is your filly being ridden for an hour at a time? Dr. G, do you recommend waiting to ride a younger horse? Different experts say different things. I always was told to be doing ground work until the horse was closer to four.

I'm not an expert, but I read a lot of equine books, so it'll be interesting to get Dr. G's view on the things I've been reading for so long. Hope I haven't offended by throwing in my questions/opinions.

Where are you from? TN

How did you locate this forum? searching Google

Above, I don't know what I typed to get the blue smiley face - was trying to type Ca to P. I don't know how to (or if I CAN) edit my mistakes. Also can't spell, either! SORRY!

Where are you from? TN

How did you locate this forum? searching Google

Thanks for the questions. She weighs about 1000 lbs. We are feeding her a second cut hay of mixed grasses. I am not sure of the weight of the flakes, but it is a good suggestion to weigh them.

Where are you from? Storrs,Ct

How did you locate this forum? via Yahoo message board

Hello Moira and Nancy,

Happy New Year!

There are several bits of information that I think you'll find helpful regarding your horse.

First, Nancy is correct regarding the weight of forage -- 2 to 2.5 percent of the body weight is considered adequate. So, for a 1000 lb horse, you should be feeding up to 25 lbs of forage each day. This is genenerally 1/3 to 1/2 bale of hay (depending on the size of the bale) each day. Offer it free choice and your horse will "self-regulate" her intake.

But, this is not enough to maintain her overall health and growth since there are many nutritional gaps. You'll want to offer her some alfalfa, either as hay or pellets or cubes (soak the cubes for safety). This will provide additional calcium as well as balance out the amino acid profile since grass hay does not provide an adequate amount of essential amino acids.

I recommend a good vitamin/mineral supplement such as Glanzen to provide omega 3 fatty acids and the additional nutrients she needs.

Offering a small amount of grain will be fine at her age, but it really should be minimal. Draft breeds are prone toward carbohydrate metabolic disorders and it is best to limit their intake of starch. Go with shredded beet pulp instead as a meal and add her supplement to that.

And, finally, you should severely limit the amount of riding that you are doing at her age. Nancy, you are correct about the growth plates not closing until the age of 4, and in large breeds, it can be even later. Moira, riding her for 1 hour at a time is too long. You can take her on short walks for 15 to 30 minutes, or you can work her on the ground without a rider for longer periods, but I strongly suggest that you limit the amount of weight on her back until she is older.

I hope this is helpful.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO