Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
proper nutrition for the Rocky Mountain Horse

These hardy horses crest easily and can have hoof issues if fed to much. My question is how do I balance limiting their intake and at the same time ensuring that they are getting all the nutrients required for them to thrive especically the foals. This breed is new to us and we haven't received any good information on how and what to feed just the advice of- DON'T OVER FEED!! Your advice would be most welcome! Thanks Kathi

Where are you from? Washington state

How did you locate this forum? I use your flax meal

Re: proper nutrition for the Rocky Mountain Horse

Hi Kathi,

What a wonderful breed! They are beautiful horses with personalities to match.

Your best bet is to feed them mostly forage -- good quality hay and/or pasture and allow them to graze at all times. You can provide them with a meal that is low in starch -- this is especially important for this breed because of the fact that they tend to store fat more readily. So, give them a meal of hay cubes, or alfalfa pellets or even soaked beet pulp. You can add a good over multiple vitamin/mineral supplement in order to fill in the gaps. For your foals and yearlings, I recommend Mare/Foal IIP since it is higher in several nutrients that are necessary for growing horses. Or you can go with one supplement, such as Accel and then add additional Lysine to your growing horses' diets.

I hope this is helpful.

Happy New Year!

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO