Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Ultimate Finish

Hi Dr. Getty!

I hope you enjoyed your vacation. I was curious about what your thoughts are on Buckeye Ultimate Finish. I hear of some people who really like this product. Feeding 1/2 pound a day does it supply a sufficient amount of viamin and minerals? Does it fall short in any areas or have too much of something? I myself am still looking forward to adding the Glanzen to my horse's diet.

Enjoy your Colorado trails!

Angel

Where are you from? California

Re: Ultimate Finish

Hi Angel,

Well, I looked at this product, and frankly, I am not impressed. It states that it can be used for horses with EPSM and therefore reduce the grain intake. But, the ingredients include rice, oats, and wheat -- all cereal grains!

And, it is not a complete vitamin/mineral supplement. It is intended as a top dressing to add more calories, mostly from fat. There are far better ways to help a hard keeper gain weight, in my opinion.

So, to answer your question -- I would avoid this one. Go with something complete that is not only high in fat, but high in the right kind of fat -- from flaxseed meal. You mentioned that you'll be feeding Glanzen -- this is ideal.

Happy New Year! We are enjoying the snow!

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

Re: Ultimate Finish

Thanks for your thoughts Dr. Getty!

I am really looking forward to starting the Glanzen!

Angel

Where are you from? California