Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
How to become an equine nutritionist

Hello,
I was curious as to how to become an equine nutritionist, I am currently in a junior college and have been looking at this as a career option for a while, but don't know where to start and I am having a hard time finding the resources for more information. I live in the Galena area and was planning on taking Animal Science as a major at Platteville Univeristy of Wisconsin. I would like to stay around this area to go to school, but it seems most colleges offering Equine Nutrition are out of state. Could you please give me some ideas on what to take or possible college options. Thanks,
Meagan

Where are you from? Galena Illinois

How did you locate this forum? yahoo.com

Re: How to become an equine nutritionist

Hi Meagan,

You've chosen a fascinating and rewarding field!

I would suggest you contact The University of Wisconsin-Madison. I believe they have a program in animal nutrition where you can specialize in equine nutrition.

Your first step would be to obtain your bachelor's degree. But, to advance in the field you'll certainly want to pursue a graduate degree where you obtain your master's degree and even continue on toward your doctorate.

I hope you'll keep me posted on your progress along the way!

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO