Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Flax

I am feeding NutraFlax and it is ground. However, many feed flax whole, it is cheaper too. They feel the horse can grind it with their teeth. I have checked into this and it is quite controversial. So, what are the reasons you recommend the ground?

Re: Flax

Also, I have a book that recommends the "old-fashioned way" how to feed whole flaxseed - to put "a handful" into a teacup at night, cover with water, and feed in the horse's ration the next morning. Would that soften the seeds so that a horse would be able to chew and get more good out of the flax? Or would it help at all?

Where are you from? TN

How did you locate this forum? searching Google

Hi Kasey and Nancy,

Flaxseeds, as you know, are high in Omega 3 fatty acids. These fatty acids are polyunsaturated and are quite vulnerable to oxidation when exposed to moisture and oxygen.

Nutra Flax uses a micronizing process that stabilizes the seed so that the fat cells are not ruptured during grinding. This prevents oxygen from gaining access to the fatty acids. If you were to grind them yourself, the meal would require refrigeration, and only for a day or two, to keep them fresh.

But, you asked about feeding them whole. They are not chewed adequately to feed whole, since the horse will swallow most of them with the hull intact. So, this is a waste and your horse doesn't get the benefit of the fatty pulp inside the seed.

Soaking them, as is often done, is also not advisable because of several reasons. First, water accelerates the oxidation of the fatty acids inside the hull. Second, water destroys several of the vitamins found in flaxseeds. Third, minerals are solublized out of the seed when soaked in water, and unless you feed the water, these minerals will be lost. Fourth, soaking overnight causes excessive bacterial growth, which is not healthful to offer to your horse. Fifth, even though the hulls are softened, they are still much harder than the inside pulp, and therefore, must be chewed to release the valuable inner contents. And finally, since much of the flaxseed will reach the hind gut with the hull intact, the bacterial flora living there will ferment it, which could lead to colic and even laminitis.

Great questions!

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

Thank you so much Dr. Getty! This was a great explaination. You made it so simple to understand without all the scientific explanations.

Wishing you the best.

Kasey

If Dr. Getty says it's best to have it ground, you can use a coffee grinder and grind it fresh every day.

Where are you from? Texas

Hi Kasey!

I'm glad to help!

As Lynette mentioned, you can grind them yourself each day. Other than the fact that they need daily grinding (and even the whole seeds should be kept refrigerated, since they, too, can go rancid), it is important to note that flaxseed meal has an inverted calcium to phosphorus ratio. So, when feeding "home-ground" flaxseed meal, it is important to add a comparable amount of a high calcium feed such as alfalfa, to the diet.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Hi Dr. Getty,
I normally steer clear of giving my 2¢ to anyones post... I am no expert!! Since they were talking about feeding whole flax seeds I thought I'd give an easy way to grind them. I didn't realize that a horse would need calcium added if feeding ground flax. You know I do feed alfalfa to my mare & her baby. I quit giving the gelding alfalfa because of his "touchy" feet, like you suggested and or course it worked. Does the SafeChoice have enough calcium for him? I am feeding the Accel too.
Thanks for your help and I hope my suggestion doesn't hurt anyone's horse!!
Lynette

Where are you from? Texas

Hi Lynette,

I always welcome your comments!

Yes, the Safe Choice and Accel have calcium added to balance out additional phosphorus. Depending on the calcium content in your hay, and how much flaxseed you're feeding, it may be important to use a flaxseed product, such as Nutra Flax, because it has the added calcium.

To let you know specifics regarding the exact amounts of calcium and phosphorus, I would need to do some analysis for you.

Best regards,

Dr. Getty