Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Grain for horse with allergies

My 7 yr old (easy keeper) horse has allergies (breathing issues/cough), but before skin testing we are thinking of trying a different grain to see if she does any better with something different to help eliminate possibilities. Her hay is already watered down.
The barn has 3 types of grain, a complete peleted feed (which she is on now), sweet feed, & Senior. I am trying to figure out which grain to switch her to. Purina recommends their complete advantage or senior for allergic horses & nutrena recommends their Legacy, or do I just try the sweet feed or senior? Plain oats?
What would you do?

Where are you from? IL

How did you locate this forum? pleasure horse link

Re: Grain for horse with allergies

Hi Randi,

Of those choices, I suggest going with the Senior feed since it is higher in fiber, easier to chew and digest, and lower in sugar.

In addition, she would benefit from additional vitamin C, as long as you are feeding according to directions. Otherwise, I would suggest a more complete supplement that is high in antioxidants.

So, consider giving her 7,000 mg of vitamin C, twice each day. I suggest Pure C -- so that would be two scoops each day. Start with smaller amounts to prevent diarrhea.

I hope this is helpful. Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

Re: Grain for horse with allergies

thank you!

Where are you from? IL

How did you locate this forum? pleasure horse link