Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Skinny Hay Belly

Hi Dr. Getty. First and most important what a great forum you have for the horse world. I have read most of the posts in the last few days since discovering your web site and have learned ALOT! My problem is with the newest member of my family. Kansas is a 15y.o. Q.H.X that came to me Aug 1/06. He was bony when I got him so he was wormed immediatley (is was not for encysted larvae). He was trurned out in a 30 acre mixed forage pasture with three others. He gained A LITTLE weight and a little hay belly. They were moved to a dry lot the end of October for the winter with 24/7 grass mix hay and 21/2cups of 12% sweet feed when ridden. They are pleasure horses that are not ridden nearly enough. The other three have done well in the past 2 winters like this but Kansas has developed a larger hay belly and dosen't seem to be putting on enough weight. I have found and ordered Ration Plus and have bought a 2lb bag of whole flax, which I will grind up, I am going to try to find some beet pulp and some Accel. His teeth were floated two weeks ago(really needed it)and he is eating easier now. What else would you recommend, and should I blanket him when it's really cold, they are outside 24/7 with a shelter.

Where are you from? Maniwaki, Quebec Canada

How did you locate this forum? Searing for Equine Nutrition

Re: Skinny Hay Belly

Hi Sherry,

Thanks for writing! Yes, the Ration Plus is a very good idea -- double up on the dosage to help him get a head start.

I would suggest that if you grind your own flaxseeds, that you add alfalfa to the diet. Alfalfa is high in calcium and flaxseed meal has an inverted calcium to phosphorus ratio, so it's important to provide additional calcium. This is why I like to recommend Nutra Flax, because it is stabilized (won't go rancid as quickly) and it has added calcium. But, it is likely not available in your area. Shipping to Canada is possible, but certainly can be costly.

Blanketing is certainly a good idea if he is underweight because you don't want him to be burning calories trying to stay warm. So, keep him warm at night, and if it is sunny during the day, you can consider letting him be without the blanket to enjoy the sunshine.

Another consideration is adding a high fat supplement such as Hard Keeeper. It is made by Vita Flex, so you can likely find it in your area.

The hay belly is due to hay fermentation and the Ration Plus will help with that. But, keep in mind that a hay belly -- some distention of the belly -- is completely normal and healthy.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO

Thanks so much for your helpis greatly appreciated!!

Today I bought Alfalfa pellets and Beet Pulp, but the BP has added molasses and that is all that I can get here.

I know to soak the BP before, do I do this with the Alfalfa pellets also or just add them in as something crunchy? I was going to give 1 1/2lb BP and 1 lb Alf Pel.(dry weight on both) 2x per day but I don't know how much ground flax to add I was thinking a 1/2 cup. Is this enough of each?

Going to the big city next week and I will certainly get the Accel and Hard Keeper.

Thanks again for your help you are so kind ,

Sherry.

Where are you from? Maniwaki, Quebec Canada

How did you locate this forum? Searing for Equine Nutrition

Hi Sherry,

I wouldn't worry about the shredded beet pulp with molasses, unless your horse is insulin resistant or has cushings, and you didn't indicate that he has these problems. The amount of sugar in this beet pulp is minimal -- less than 5% -- so no need to rinse it.

You do want to soak it however. The simplest way is to just add warm/hot water and it's ready to serve in 5 minutes. You can mix in the alfalfa pellets and let them get wet, as well. The soaked beet pulp will still have chew value.

1/2 cup of flaxseed meal per meal is perfect.

Keep me posted on his progress!

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO