Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
feed choices

Hi Dr. Getty,

Last year I wrote and asked about feed choices for a boarding barn and of the ones you recommended, everyone at our stable agreed on Triple Crown Complete and Low Starch. So it is now the barn supplied feed. Since the switch, boarders have come and gone and when new people/horses come, I rave about the "quality" feed we use. I think all the horses in the barn look great. (I also add Nutra-flax to their feed everyday) Each boarder has different ideas of what supplements they use and I don't interfer with their choices but I have had a very experienced professional question the quality of the feed, saying it contains alot of fillers (to much beet pulp and no corn-which they think horses need). Please confirm that Triple Crown Feed was the correct choice.

Also, I read one of your forums where the person is using ultium and you mentioned that even though it is a complete feed, horses still need additional vitamin/mineral supplements. What do you recommend. We feed a rotation of timothy/alfalfa and grass/alfalfa (4 flakes per day) + approx 15 hrs turnout on grass + the horses get anywhere from 1-3 lb of grain 2x per day depending on work/activity. All horses also have access to plain salt blocks in pastures.

Thank you for any reassurance you can offer, when we decided to take on boarders, I never considered all the opinions I would be exposed to. I believe in quality horse care and try to offer this to my boarders but sometimes I get a little discouraged.

It's wonderful to have you available for these trying times - THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR BEING HERE FOR ALL OF US!!

Patty

Where are you from? Florida

How did you locate this forum? online

Re: feed choices

I forgot also, My friend has a very picky eater and we currently feed him 3lbs of Triple Crown Complete 2x per day. He was being worked 3x per week for 1 hr., recently she started working him 1-1.5 hr 5x per week. We increased his feed to 4lbs 2x per day so he doesn't loose weight with the extra work but he won't eat it all. He has always been a picky eater and only eats what he wants. Even when it comes to hay, he never eats every bit, sometimes we skip him at lunch because he still has alot of breakfast hay left. What do you recommend to keep weight on him that he will eat?
Thanks again!!

Where are you from? Florida

How did you locate this forum? online

Re: feed choices

Hi Patty!

Thank you for your kinds words -- it is truly a pleasure to help you and all of my horsey friends on this website!

I have to disagree with the person you consulted regarding the ingredients in Triple Crown feeds. Beet pulp is not a filler -- it is the pulp of the beet plant that is left over after sugar is produced. And, it is a wonderful energy (calorie) source for horses that allows them to feed their tissues. And, it doesn't have the risk of high starch feeds. Corn is the most poorly digested of all the cereal grains, so I try to avoid it where possible.

If you are feeding Triple Crown according to directions, you likely do not need any additional supplementation. There are circumstances where more supplements are required, for special needs.

For your friend's picky eater, I would first want to rule out any underlying medical or dental problems that could be contributing to the lack of appetite. So, it's hard to say what the problem could be without further discussion. Please consider having your friend contact me and let's see if we can figure out what the problem is.

In reference to the amount to feed, I looked at Triple Crown's website and 6 lbs per day is recommended for a 1000 lb horse, so he may require more than what she is feeding to maintain his weight.

I hope this is helpful.

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO