Return to Website

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition

Welcome to my forum. 

Here you will find more than 6 years of questions and my answers. It is searchable and offers a great deal of information. 

Currently, I am discontinuing new questions. This may change in the future, but in the meantime, please know that It has been a true pleasure serving you. 

Take a look at my Nutrition Library and Tips of the Month for a variety of answers on selected topics. Be sure to sign up for my monthly e-newsletter, Forage for Thought

I also have a growing number of recordings on "Teleseminars on Nutrition Topics that Concern You" as well as the new, Spotlight on Equine Nutrition Series -- printed versions of favorite teleseminars.

And finally, look for my articles in a variety of local publications and online newsletters, as well as the Horse Journal, where I am the Contributing Nutrition Editor.  

All the best,

Dr. Getty 

Ask the Nutritionist: Dr. Getty's Forum for Equine Nutrition
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Accel/Accel lifetime

Hi Dr Getty,
Just a question about Accel & Accel Lifetime. Would you recommend accel lifetime instead of accel all the time or is the extra vitamin E and selenium only for certain areas? Is all of Texas ok in the selenium content? My mare didn't particularly like the Accel but I use the canola oil, SafeChoice, and flax with it and she eats it all.
Thanks for your time.
Lynette

Where are you from? Texas

Re: Accel/Accel lifetime

Hi Lynette,

Texas soils contain adequate selenium, so additional selenium is not necessary. However, one ounce of Accel Lifetime provides 1 mg of selenium. Safe Choice has .6 ppm of Selenium, so if you're feeding 4 lbs of Safe Choice, let's say, she's getting 1.08 mg of selenium. This with Accel Lifetime, is still within a safe range.

Accel Lifetime has additional benefits for the immune system and she likely can do without it unless she is experiencing frequent infections, allergies, abscesses, or difficulty staying healthy. Otherwise, regular Accel is fine, with the addition, perhaps of more vitamin E. Accel has 250 IU of vitamin E per ounce, which is really not enough for most horses. Safe Choice provides 100 IU per lb. The recent research on Vitamin E suggests that most horses require at least 1000 IU per day, and if under any work or demands on the body, it should be increased. Adding E5000 is a good way to get more vitamin E into the diet without added selenium.

Wheew -- lots of numbers! Any questions?

All the best,

Dr. Getty

Where are you from? Bayfield, CO